What is the Speed of Sound in this Lab Setup?

In summary, the lab involved tracking a single peak with a microphone to determine the speed of sound. The next question involved using two measurements to do the same. The graphs showed two sine-wave signals with the cursors representing the peak of the sound wave as the microphone was moved. The calculations were done by converting the units to standard units and using the equation velocity = Δx / Δt. However, despite trying different rounding and significant figures, the submitted answer was still incorrect and there is no clear error that could lead to a significantly different result within realistic values for the speed of sound.
lightofthemoon

Homework Statement

In this part of the lab you tracked a single peak as you moved a microphone in order to get a good value of the speed of sound. This question will lead you through a similar process with just two measurements.

(The lab set up: speaker emitting the signal faced one microphone a certain distance x away. Measure Δt of the same peak in both positions)

The graphs below show two sine-wave signals like you saw from a microphone positioned in front of a speaker in Part 3 of the experiment. The two dashed vertical lines represent the cursors of the oscilloscope, with the one on the right side (colored orange) tracking a peak of the sound wave as the microphone is moved. The position x of the microphone in front of the speaker and the time between the cursors Δt is shown below each graph.

f1.gif

Mic position: x = 5.00 cm. Cursor difference: Δt = 0.0828 ms
f1v3d0.gif

Mic position: x = 20.0 cm. Cursor difference: Δt = 0.511 ms
Answers have to be correct within 2%

Homework Equations

velocity = Δx / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

convert all units to standard units
1) mic position = .05 m , cursor difference = 8.28 * 10^-5 s
2) mic position = .2 m , cursor difference = 5.11*10^-4 s

velocity = (.2 - .05) / (4.282 * 10^ -4)
velocity = 350.3 m/s

I input this answer online, but it says it is wrong... check rounding or significant figures. I tried slightly different numbers, like rounding 4.282 * 10^-4 to 4.28 * 10^-4, giving me an answer of 350.5 but it is still wrong... rounding it up to 351 doesn't work either and I suspect rounding down to 350 also will not work because it is within 2% of my initial answer... did I make some kind of mistake elsewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same result.

There is no obvious modification that would lead to an answer more than 1% away but still within realistic values for the speed of sound.

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. In dry air at sea level, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a stopwatch to time the difference between seeing a sound and hearing it, or using specialized equipment such as a sound level meter or oscilloscope.

3. Does the speed of sound change in different environments?

Yes, the speed of sound can vary depending on the density and temperature of the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound travels faster in warmer air and slower in colder air.

4. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is significantly slower than the speed of light, which travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. In comparison, the speed of sound is only about 0.1% of the speed of light.

5. Can the speed of sound be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of sound can be impacted by external factors such as wind, humidity, and air pressure. These factors can alter the density and temperature of the medium, thereby changing the speed at which sound travels through it.