1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the speed of the charge

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    For this question, I have solved letters a, b and c. I'm stuck at letter d.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges ql = +2.40 nC and q2 = -6.50 nC are 0.100 m apart. Point A is midway between them; point B is 0.050 m from ql and 0.060 m from q2 (Fig). Take the electric potential to be zero at infinity. Find
    (a) The potential at point A;
    (b) The potential at point B;
    (c) The work done by the electric field on a charge of 2.50 nC that travels from point B to point A.
    (d) The speed of the 2.50 nC when it reaches point A, if it starts from rest at point B

2. Relevant equations

KE = 1/2 m v2 ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved a, b and c

a) VA = -737 V
    b) VB = -704 V
    c) WB->A = +8.2 x 10-8 J

Now I'm stuck at letter D, how do i find the speed? I assume that I might need the equation of KE = 1/2 m v2.. But I dont know how to do it.

What I did was to put +8.2 x 10-8 J as my KE. However, I do not have a mass, so how do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your method is fine. You can't solve this problem without having the mass of the charge.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    Oh you mean that the problem is missing the mass? If that's so then I cannot solve this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook