Calculating the Speed of a Moving Charge Using Electrostatic Force

In summary: So I am predicting, to find the ## W ## done by ## Q ## on ## q ## I have to use the one I derived (from Coulomb's Law) and include both ## Q ## and ## q ##. Whereas to find the ## \Delta V ## I need to use the second equation that my professor provided?
Antonius

Homework Statement

[/B]
Positive point charge (Q = XXX μC, mass m = XXX g) is fixed at point (Y2 cm,0). A second identical charge q is constrained to slide on a friction-less wire along the y-axis. Assume: the only force on q is the electrostatic force. If q starts at (0, YYY) and is released from rest, find its speed when it reaches (0,YYY cm), in m/s.

Homework Equations

W = ΔV * q

ΔV = -kQ (1/r2 - 1/r1) ----( this equation was already derived from integrating with limits A to B - ∫ E * dr )

W = ΔK

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I understand, sort of, that I need to find energy needed to move the charge for that distance (y2 - y1). In order to get that, I need to find ΔV so that I could multiply the answer to charge q and make it equal to [(1/2) (m*Vf^2)] to get the Vf.

I used ΔV = -kQ (1/r2 - 1/r1)
and I got ΔV = 104500. 5716 V. Used [W = ΔV * q] to get W. Then set W = 1/2 mvf^2. Found vf = 2.647 m/s

Is this an OK logic to solve this problem? :/
I need an advice regarding the formulas I am using... not the correct answer...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct approach to the problem.

However, you might have a couple of sign errors. If W represents the work done on the charge q by the electric force, then check your notes to see if W = +ΔVq or W = -ΔVq.

Also, check if ΔV = +kQ(1/r2 - 1/r1) or ΔV = -kQ(1/r2 - 1/r1).

I believe it's with the "-" sign in front:
$$ (\frac {qQ} {4 π ε_o}) \int_{a}^{b} \frac {1} {r^2} dx = (\frac {qQ} { 4πε_o}) ((\frac {-1} { b}) - (\frac {-1} {a})) = - (\frac {qQ} { 4πε_o}) [(\frac {1} { b}) - (\frac {1} {a})] $$

The work done is by the charge that has a fixed position on the x - axis, I am saying?

Also, the integration that I just did gives me ## \ W ## ... but why do I have both ## q ## and ## Q ## involved in the equation?

My professor gave me an equation similar to the one that I have derived, but it only includes Q as a reference charge (Electric field created by point charge Q) and gives off almost exact result. To be precise it follows like this:

$$ \Delta V = V_b - V_a = - \int_{a}^{b} E \cdot dr = - (\frac {Q} { 4πε_o}) [(\frac {1} { b}) - (\frac {1} {a})] $$

So I am predicting, to find the ## W ## done by ## Q ## on ## q ## I have to use the one I derived (from Coulomb's Law) and include both ## Q ## and ## q ##. Whereas to find the ## \Delta V ## I need to use the second equation that my professor provided? Well, in fact, I can use the second equation and still find the ## W ## by multiplying the result to the value of charge ## q ## (the charge that Work is being done upon)

So, to conclude, one finds ## W ## done by Q on q and another finds ## \Delta V ## in the case of charge Q creating an electric field which is not constant.

Hoping that my thoughts do not have flaws...

P.S. Since ## a ## is less than ## b ## , the fraction will work out to be ## negative ## there fore the ## W ## done will be ## positive ## if that's what you meant to emphasize on. Since the charges would naturally move away from each other, I believe ## W ## must be positive in this case.

Last edited:
Antonius said:
I believe it's with the "-" sign in front:
$$ (\frac {qQ} {4 π ε_o}) \int_{a}^{b} \frac {1} {r^2} dx = (\frac {qQ} { 4πε_o}) ((\frac {-1} { b}) - (\frac {-1} {a})) = - (\frac {qQ} { 4πε_o}) [(\frac {1} { b}) - (\frac {1} {a})] $$

The work done is by the charge that has a fixed position on the x - axis, I am saying

Also, the integration that I just did gives me ## \ W ##
Yes, that all looks good! So, for ##b>a## the electric force does a positive amount of work on q as q moves from ##r = a## to ##r = b##.

... but why do I have both ## q ## and ## Q ## involved in the equation?
Because the electric force is proportional to ##Qq## according to Coulomb's law.

My professor gave me an equation similar to the one that I have derived, but it only includes Q as a reference charge (Electric field created by point charge Q) and gives off almost exact result. To be precise it follows like this:

$$ \Delta V = V_b - V_a = - \int_{a}^{b} E \cdot dr = - (\frac {Q} { 4πε_o}) [(\frac {1} { b}) - (\frac {1} {a})] $$
The integration of ##\frac{1}{r^2}## here will produce a minus sign that cancels the minus sign in front of the integral. So, the result should not have the minus sign out front. Thus ##\Delta V = V_b - V_a = - \int_{a}^{b} E \cdot dr = +(\frac {Q} { 4πε_o}) [(\frac {1} { b}) - (\frac {1} {a})]##. If you think about it, this makes sense. Since ##b > a##, this gives ##\Delta V < 0##. But that's what you expect as you move farther away from Q.

So I am predicting, to find the ## W ## done by ## Q ## on ## q ## I have to use the one I derived (from Coulomb's Law) and include both ## Q ## and ## q ##. Whereas to find the ## \Delta V ## I need to use the second equation that my professor provided? Well, in fact, I can use the second equation and still find the ## W ## by multiplying the result to the value of charge ## q ## (the charge that Work is being done upon)
Yes, but to get the signs to work out you need to use the correct relation ##W = -q \Delta V## rather than ##W = +q \Delta V##. The general relation between the work done by a conservative force and the change in potential energy is ##W = - \Delta U##, with a minus sign. For electrostatics, ##U = qV##, so ##W = - q\Delta V##

P.S. Since ## a ## is less than ## b ## , the fraction will work out to be ## negative ## there fore the ## W ## done will be ## positive ## if that's what you meant to emphasize on. Since the charges would naturally move away from each other, I believe ## W ## must be positive in this case.

Yes, ##W## should be positive in this problem. This comes about because ##W = -q \Delta V## while ##\Delta V < 0##.

Likes Antonius
Yep. It's all clear. Thank you :)

What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves or the distance an object travels per unit of time.

How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's movement, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement.

How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance/time.

What are the units of speed?

The units of speed depend on the units of distance and time used. Some common units of speed include meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph).

What factors can affect the speed of an object?

The speed of an object can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, the force applied to it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.