Calculating Constant Speed of a Train with Variable Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a train's journey consisting of three parts: acceleration for a distance of 60 m, constant speed for 120 m, and deceleration for 30 m until it stops. The total time of the trip is 25 seconds. The attempt at a solution involved writing down equations for each part of the trip, but the solution is not complete and further examination of all parts is needed to determine the constant speed of the train.
astrololo

Homework Statement

A train is at 0 m/s at the begining. It accelerates on a distance of 60 m, after it goes on a constant speed on the next 120 m and it finally decelerates on the next on 30 m and stops. The whole traject is 25 sec. Find the constant speed.

Homework Equations

x final = x initial + v initial * t + 1/2 * a * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

60 = 0 + 0 + 1/2* a* t^2

60 = 1/2 * a * t^2

We also know that the first traject goes from 0 to 60 m and from 60 to 180 m and finally from 180 to 210 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
astrololo said:

Homework Statement

A train is at 0 m/s at the begining. It accelerates on a distance of 60 m, after it goes on a constant speed on the next 120 m and it finally decelerates on the next on 30 m and stops. The whole traject is 25 sec. Find the constant speed.

Homework Equations

x final = x initial + v initial * t + 1/2 * a * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

60 = 0 + 0 + 1/2* a* t^2

60 = 1/2 * a * t^2

We also know that the first traject goes from 0 to 60 m and from 60 to 180 m and finally from 180 to 210 m.
Writing down a couple of equations is not a valid attempt at solution. For this problem, you must examine all the parts of the trip in order to determine the constant speed of the train.

SteamKing said:
Writing down a couple of equations is not a valid attempt at solution. For this problem, you must examine all the parts of the trip in order to determine the constant speed of the train.
Yeah I know but I have no idea on what to do next... I wrote down 3 equations for each part of the traject but after that I have no idea...

astrololo said:
Yeah I know but I have no idea on what to do next... I wrote down 3 equations for each part of the traject but after that I have no idea...
You wrote down an equation covering the first part of the trip. Don't you think you should write some additional equations describing the other parts of the same trip?

1. What is the formula for finding the speed of a train?

The formula for finding the speed of a train is speed = distance/time. This means that to calculate the speed, you need to divide the distance traveled by the train by the time it took to cover that distance.

2. How can I measure the distance traveled by a train?

The distance traveled by a train can be measured using various methods such as using a GPS device, measuring the distance between two points using a measuring tape, or using landmarks and their known distances to estimate the distance.

3. Can the speed of a train vary during its journey?

Yes, the speed of a train can vary during its journey due to factors such as changes in terrain, weather conditions, and speed restrictions in certain areas. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the average speed of a train.

4. How does the weight of the train affect its speed?

The weight of a train can affect its speed, as a heavier train will require more energy to move and may have a slower acceleration. However, once the train is in motion, the weight may not have as significant of an impact on its speed.

5. What units are used to measure the speed of a train?

The speed of a train is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph). In some cases, the speed may also be measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).