Determine 3 Elements of Group H with Primes p & q

• Thread starter mansi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses a group H that is a proper subset of integers and contains exactly three elements from the set {p, p+q, pq, p^q, q^p}. The task is to determine which of the options {pq, p^q, q^p}, {p+q, pq, p^q}, {p, p+q, pq}, {p, p^q, q^p}, and {p, pq, p^q} are the three elements in H. Using Euclid's algorithm, it is determined that if H contains p^q and q^p, then it also contains 1 and is equivalent to the group pZ. Therefore, the correct
mansi
let p and q be distinct primes. suppose that H is a proper subset of integers and H is a group under addition that contains exactly 3 elements of the set
{ p,p+q,pq, p^q , q^p}.
Determine which of the foll are the 3 elements in H
a. pq, p^q, q^p

b. P+q, pq,p^q

c. p, p+q, pq

d. p, p^q, q^p

e. p, pq, p^q

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint Euclid's algorithm: p^r and q^s are coprime so if H contains these two elements, then it contains 1, and hence is Z. Use this idea in several variations. Of course you could consider the group pZ

thanks sir, but could you please elaborate further.
i don't seem to get the idea...

If a group contains p, it contains np for all n in Z. So clearly e. forms the answer.

A group for instance cannot contain p and q if they are coprime and not be all of Z since there are a and b in Z such that ap+bq=1, hence the group contains all elements of Z.

And I tihnk you ought to ponder that for a while, cos I really have given you more information than I want to.

How about thinking about an example if you cant' see it:

p=2 q=3

If 2 and 3 are in the group, then so is -2 (inverses) and hence, so is 3-2=1 (composition)

If 1 is in there so is 1+1+1+..+1= n (composition) and n was arbitrary, also -n is in there (inverses again)

well...thanks a lot, sir! i figured it out...

1. What is the significance of Group H in mathematics?

Group H is a mathematical concept that falls under the study of abstract algebra. It is a type of group with specific properties that make it useful for solving various mathematical problems.

2. How are primes p and q related to Group H?

Primes p and q are used as parameters to determine the elements of Group H. These primes are used to generate a set of numbers that have specific properties, which make them suitable for forming a group.

3. How many elements are there in Group H with primes p and q?

The number of elements in Group H with primes p and q can be determined by multiplying p and q together. So, if p = 2 and q = 3, the number of elements in Group H would be 6.

4. How do you determine the elements of Group H with primes p and q?

To determine the elements of Group H with primes p and q, you can use a formula that involves modular arithmetic. The formula is (p-1)(q-1)/2, which gives the number of elements in the group.

5. Can Group H with primes p and q be used in real-life applications?

Yes, Group H with primes p and q has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other areas of mathematics. It is used to create secure communication channels and to solve complex mathematical problems.