1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the sum of the series

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

equation: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6239/untitledkl6.jpg

2. Relevant equations

can use geometric series i think.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think this is a geometric series, i plugged numbers into the equation, starting from 1 and got: 1/16 + 64/7 + 256/49 +...

maybe i can use a formula something like this? --> 1/(1-a)

need help with this please.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the first term supposed to be 16/1 rather than 1/16? Then I would take 16 outside the series. 16*(1+4/7+16/49+...). The stuff in parentheses is the beginning of a geometric series.

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, now I've looked at the image too. I suggest you define k=n-1 and rewrite the sum with k as the summation variable instead of n. You will see that you need to move 16 outside the sum to get a geometric series.

5. Jan 30, 2007 #4
    "Is the first term supposed to be 16/1 " ya it is.

"I suggest you define k=n-1 and rewrite the sum with k as the summation variable instead of n."

..sorry, i'm not too good with the terminology.

however i've attached a new pic, of some of the work i did, but i need help.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4371/untitledme4.jpg

not sure if i'm on the right track, feel free to correct me!

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does that "5" (or is it an "S") in your image mean? The crucial point is that the fractions in your sum are not powers of 4/7. Yes, that is a geometric series- use the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

What Fredrick was talking about before is this- your first image gives
    [tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}[/tex]
    and I'm sure you are used to having just "r^n". Okay, take out everything except the "n". 4n+1= (4n)(4) and 7n-1= (7n)(7-1).
    [tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}= \frac{(4)(4^n)}{7^{-1}7^n}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{4}{7^{-1}}\frac{4^n}{7^n}= (4)(7)\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n= 28\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6
    yes, the 5 was an S.

okay, 28(4/7)^n, is that my new S?

where do i go from here? before I would just have a solid fraction and divide through to get what S equals.

8. Jan 31, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea. What do YOU mean by "S"? Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to post what you are using as the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

9. Jan 31, 2007 #8
    Do you mean this?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}= \frac{(4)(4^n)}{7^{-1}7^n}[/tex] ? Sigma?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?