Find the sum of the series

In summary, Fredrick was trying to solve for k in a geometric series and needed help with the terminology. He attached a new image that has him trying to find k in a series with an "S" in the numerator and denominator. He also needs help with where to go from here.
rcmango

Homework Statement

equation: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6239/untitledkl6.jpg

Homework Equations

can use geometric series i think.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a geometric series, i plugged numbers into the equation, starting from 1 and got: 1/16 + 64/7 + 256/49 +...

maybe i can use a formula something like this? --> 1/(1-a)

need help with this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the first term supposed to be 16/1 rather than 1/16? Then I would take 16 outside the series. 16*(1+4/7+16/49+...). The stuff in parentheses is the beginning of a geometric series.

OK, now I've looked at the image too. I suggest you define k=n-1 and rewrite the sum with k as the summation variable instead of n. You will see that you need to move 16 outside the sum to get a geometric series.

"Is the first term supposed to be 16/1 " you it is.

"I suggest you define k=n-1 and rewrite the sum with k as the summation variable instead of n."

..sorry, I'm not too good with the terminology.

however I've attached a new pic, of some of the work i did, but i need help.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4371/untitledme4.jpg

not sure if I'm on the right track, feel free to correct me!

Last edited by a moderator:
What does that "5" (or is it an "S") in your image mean? The crucial point is that the fractions in your sum are not powers of 4/7. Yes, that is a geometric series- use the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

What Fredrick was talking about before is this- your first image gives
[tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}[/tex]
and I'm sure you are used to having just "r^n". Okay, take out everything except the "n". 4n+1= (4n)(4) and 7n-1= (7n)(7-1).
[tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}= \frac{(4)(4^n)}{7^{-1}7^n}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{4}{7^{-1}}\frac{4^n}{7^n}= (4)(7)\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n= 28\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

yes, the 5 was an S.

okay, 28(4/7)^n, is that my new S?

where do i go from here? before I would just have a solid fraction and divide through to get what S equals.

rcmango said:
yes, the 5 was an S.

where do i go from here? before I would just have a solid fraction and divide through to get what S equals.
I have no idea. What do YOU mean by "S"? Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to post what you are using as the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

HallsofIvy said:
What does that "5" (or is it an "S") in your image mean? The crucial point is that the fractions in your sum are not powers of 4/7. Yes, that is a geometric series- use the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

What Fredrick was talking about before is this- your first image gives
[tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}[/tex]
and I'm sure you are used to having just "r^n". Okay, take out everything except the "n". 4n+1= (4n)(4) and 7n-1= (7n)(7-1).
[tex]\frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}= \frac{(4)(4^n)}{7^{-1}7^n}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{4}{7^{-1}}\frac{4^n}{7^n}= (4)(7)\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n= 28\left(\frac{4}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

rcmango said:
yes, the 5 was an S.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea. What do YOU mean by "S"? Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to post what you are using as the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

Do you mean this?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{4^{n+1}}{7^{n-1}}= \frac{(4)(4^n)}{7^{-1}7^n}[/tex] ? Sigma?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series is S = (a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1) / (1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the limit of the partial sums approaches a finite number, and it is divergent if the limit does not exist or approaches infinity.

3. Can you use the sum of a series formula for an infinite series?

No, the formula for finding the sum of a series only works for finite series. For infinite series, you must use other methods such as the limit of partial sums or the comparison test.

4. Is it possible to find the sum of a series if the terms are not in a specific pattern?

Yes, it is possible to find the sum of a series even if the terms are not in a specific pattern. This can be done by using other methods such as the limit of partial sums or the integral test.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the sum of a series?

Yes, there are certain shortcuts and tricks that can be used for specific types of series, such as geometric or arithmetic series. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for finding the sum of a series in order to use these shortcuts effectively.