Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the sum of the series

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    The following is a geometric series.
    Determine whether series is converges or not.
    For the series which converge, enter the sum of the series

2. The attempt at a solution:
    I've looked into calculating [tex]{r}=\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/tex] but the series isn't constant and neither is r : [tex]\frac{10}{8}{+}\frac{58}{64}{+}\frac{185}{256}{+...}[/tex]

I feel like there is another approach to solving this problem that I am missing. Your help is appreciated, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well it's just the sum of two geometric series isn't it?
    \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{7}{8})^n + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{3}{8})^n
  4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    I ran those numbers through on paper before too, but it never clicked that I could find the sum individually and add them together. Thanks for your help.
  5. Aug 24, 2008 #4
    does it matter that the series is 1-relative? i.e. does one need to convert to make r^(n-1)?

6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good point.
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
    Here, since it is missing the "n= 0" term, you just subtract that term of: ar0= a so
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}- a= \frac{a}{1-r}- \frac{a- ar}{1-r}= \frac{ar}{1- r}[/tex]

Of course, that is exactly the same as if you had just factored out an "r":
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty ar^n= \sum_{n= 1}^\infty (ar)r^{n-1}= \sum_{j= 0}^\infty (ar)r^j[/itex]
    where j= n-1 so that when n= 1, j= 1-1= 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?