What is the sum of this geometric series?

• Thread starter greenandblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a geometric series and finding its sum. The series is not constant and a different approach is needed to solve it. One person suggests breaking it into two separate geometric series and adding them together. Another person explains how to find the sum of a 1-relative series by subtracting the first term and factoring out an "r".
greenandblue
1. Homework Statement :
The following is a geometric series.
Determine whether series is converges or not.
For the series which converge, enter the sum of the series
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{7^n+3^n}{8^n}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution:
I've looked into calculating [tex]{r}=\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/tex] but the series isn't constant and neither is r : [tex]\frac{10}{8}{+}\frac{58}{64}{+}\frac{185}{256}{+...}[/tex]

I feel like there is another approach to solving this problem that I am missing. Your help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's just the sum of two geometric series isn't it?
[tex]
\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{7}{8})^n + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{3}{8})^n
[/tex]

I ran those numbers through on paper before too, but it never clicked that I could find the sum individually and add them together. Thanks for your help.

does it matter that the series is 1-relative? i.e. does one need to convert to make r^(n-1)?

j

Good point.
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
Here, since it is missing the "n= 0" term, you just subtract that term of: ar0= a so
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}- a= \frac{a}{1-r}- \frac{a- ar}{1-r}= \frac{ar}{1- r}[/tex]

Of course, that is exactly the same as if you had just factored out an "r":
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty ar^n= \sum_{n= 1}^\infty (ar)r^{n-1}= \sum_{j= 0}^\infty (ar)r^j[/itex]
where j= n-1 so that when n= 1, j= 1-1= 0.

What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers that are added together. It can be finite or infinite.

How do you find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you need to add up all the terms in the series. This can be done by hand or by using a formula, depending on the type of series.

What is a finite series?

A finite series is a series that has a specific number of terms. The sum of a finite series can be found by adding up all the terms in the series.

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a series that has an infinite number of terms. The sum of an infinite series can only be found if the series converges, meaning that the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is S = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.