What is the formula for finding the sum to n terms in a geometric series?

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Terms
In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum to n terms of the sequence Wk = 2 + 3(1/2)^k, where n is a parameter representing the number of terms. The conversation discusses using the properties of summations to separate the sums and use the Geometric Series formula to find the sum of the terms with a common ratio of 1/2. The final solution is given as 2n + 3(1-2^-n).
lionely

Homework Statement

Wn = 2 + 3(1/2)^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused, all I tried so far is writing out the first 5 terms, but all that was helping me to do is basically find the Sum to infinity... so what should I do to find the Sum to n terms? I know the 3(1/2)^n will be a g.p. , and the 2 makes it sort of an ap.

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

Wn = 2 + 3(1/2)^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused, all I tried so far is writing out the first 5 terms, but all that was helping me to do is basically find the Sum to infinity... so what should I do to find the Sum to n terms? I know the 3(1/2)^n will be a g.p. , and the 2 makes it sort of an ap.
Since n is going to be a parameter representing the number of terms, it shouldn't also be an index for the individual terms, so write you sequence as Wk = 2 + 3(1/2)k.

Now, since you want the sum of the first n terms, your summation looks like this:
$$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (2 + 3(1/2)^k)$$

What properties of summations do you know?

I can separate the sums , $$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (2 )$$ and $$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (3(1/2)^k)$$

I'm not sure how to separate the latter, never seen one with an index before, well I don't recall..

lionely said:
$$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (3(1/2)^k)$$

I'm not sure how to separate the latter, never seen one with an index before, well I don't recall..

Try writing a few terms out and notice what you can do with all the 3s that appear. Do you recall the Geometric Series?

I could sum the 3s separately?,Oh and then just replace the SUm of the (1/2)^k with the basic geometric sum formula?

so the Sn = 2n + 3n + a(1-(1/2)^n/[1-1/2] ?

Last edited:
nevermind I got it to be 2N + 3(1-2^-N)

1. What is the formula for finding the sum to n terms?

The formula for finding the sum to n terms is Sn = n/2 * (a1 + an), where Sn represents the sum, n represents the number of terms, a1 represents the first term, and an represents the last term.

2. How do you find the value of n in the sum to n terms formula?

The value of n is typically given in the problem or can be determined by counting the number of terms in the series. It represents the number of terms that will be added together to find the sum.

3. Can the sum to n terms formula be used for any series?

Yes, the sum to n terms formula can be used for any series as long as the series follows a specific pattern and has a finite number of terms.

4. What is the significance of the first and last terms in the sum to n terms formula?

The first and last terms in the sum to n terms formula are used to determine the range of the series. The first term represents the starting value and the last term represents the ending value.

5. How can the sum to n terms formula be applied in real-life situations?

The sum to n terms formula is commonly used in finance to calculate compound interest, in statistics to find the total of a data set, and in physics to find the total displacement of an object over a period of time.