1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the sum to n terms

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Wn = 2 + 3(1/2)^n

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused, all I tried so far is writing out the first 5 terms, but all that was helping me to do is basically find the Sum to infinity... so what should I do to find the Sum to n terms? I know the 3(1/2)^n will be a g.p. , and the 2 makes it sort of an ap.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since n is going to be a parameter representing the number of terms, it shouldn't also be an index for the individual terms, so write you sequence as Wk = 2 + 3(1/2)k.

Now, since you want the sum of the first n terms, your summation looks like this:
    $$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (2 + 3(1/2)^k)$$

What properties of summations do you know?

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3
    I can separate the sums , $$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (2 )$$ and $$ \sum_{k = 1}^n (3(1/2)^k)$$

I'm not sure how to separate the latter, never seen one with an index before, well I don't recall..

5. Apr 25, 2014 #4
    Try writing a few terms out and notice what you can do with all the 3s that appear. Do you recall the Geometric Series?

6. Apr 25, 2014 #5
    I could sum the 3s separately?,Oh and then just replace the SUm of the (1/2)^k with the basic geometric sum formula?

so the Sn = 2n + 3n + a(1-(1/2)^n/[1-1/2] ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Apr 25, 2014 #6
    nevermind I got it to be 2N + 3(1-2^-N)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted