1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the surface charge density of a perfect conductor

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    This is for extra credit not actual homework but I need the points and I would like to understand the subject matter as well so any help would be much obliged.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a sphere with radius R made up of a perfect conducting material in a constant and uniform electric field E. I am tasked to find the surface charge density ρ.

2. Relevant equations
    See #3 for the relevant equations that I used.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am attempting to solve this problem by Gauss's Law. I am almost done, all I need to do is actually construct the sphere...I think.

Since the electric field, E, is 0 in in the sphere the surface charge density is going to be the charge due to the sphere being in the field E.

I assumed [itex]\Phi[/itex] = ERcos[itex]\Theta[/itex] and then assumed that [itex]_{Q}A[/itex] would be the surface charge density (the enclosed charge in the sphere) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]*[itex]_{\epsilon}0[/itex]

However this doesn't help because I didn't construct any sphere and that is where I am lost. That is assuming I am doing this correctly. If I am not please tell me.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted