Find the surface charge density

In summary, the conversation is about finding the surface charge density of a spherical metal satellite with a diameter of 1.3m and a charge of 2.4x10^-6 C in one orbital revolution. The formula for surface charge density is E = \delta/surface area, and the surface area of a sphere is 4PIr^2. The participant initially had trouble finding the correct formula, but with the suggestion to use the definition of surface charge density, they were able to solve the problem.
mr_coffee
Helllo everyone I'm stuck. A sphereical metal satelliete 1.3m in diameter accumulates 2.4x10^-6 C of charge in one orbital revolution. Find the resulting surface charge density. This is a simple plug in chug problem i think...I know the charge and radius but i can't finda formula that works. The closest one i found was: E = [tex]\delta[/tex]/Eo; Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the charge. All you need is the surface area. Look up the formula for the surface area of a sphere.

ohhh so charge here doesn't mean q enclosed, it means surface charge density? So i could use E = [tex]\delta[/tex]/(2piEor)

mr_coffee said:
ohhh so charge here doesn't mean q enclosed, it means surface charge density?
Right. The problem (as you gave it) states: "Find the resulting surface charge density."

And the most direct way to calculate surface charge density is by its definition: [surface charge]/[surface area]. So... what's the surface area of a sphere?

Oh i think you misunderstood when i said, "ohhh so charge here doesn't mean q enclosed, it means surface charge density? " I was talking about, it said: "...accumulates 2.4x10^-6 C of charge in one orbital revolution." <---that charge is q not [tex]\delta[/tex] right? The surface are of a sphere is 4PIr^2. E = [tex]\delta[/tex]/(4PIr^2Eo) like that?

ahhh n/m I'm retarded, i didn't even read ur post cleary, thanks i got it with ur suggestion!

What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density is a measure of the electric charge per unit area on the surface of a material.

How is surface charge density calculated?

Surface charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge on the surface by the surface area.

What are the units of surface charge density?

The units of surface charge density are coulombs per square meter (C/m^2) in SI units.

What factors affect surface charge density?

The factors that affect surface charge density include the amount of charge placed on the surface, the size and shape of the surface, and the properties of the material the surface is made of.

What is the significance of surface charge density in research and applications?

Surface charge density plays a crucial role in many areas of research and applications, such as electrochemistry, semiconductor technology, and nanotechnology. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with surfaces.