Solving for the Unknown in a Math Equation

In summary: R v_{cm}+\vec R\times \vec v_{cm})## and the magnitude is ##-(w-\vec R\times \vec v_{cm}+\vec R\times \vec\omega)##.
Panda1175
Homework Statement
Given an angle for the what is the tangential velocity, A, respecting the ground.
Relevant Equations
v_a = v_cm + w x R
Center of mass velocity in respects to the ground + tangential velocity of a in respects to the center of mass velocity = A in respects to the ground
1673398977545.png

I don't understand the extra - in the second part of the equation, before the 2.
From my understanding, the squaring of the first part of the first equation is so that the equations consist of magnitudes. I'm just not quite sure where the negative came from. If I had to guess, it would be, w, harboring the negative (because it's pointing into the page)???

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the three vectors, ##\vec v_{cm}, \vec\omega, \vec R##, in ##\hat i, \hat j, \hat k## notation and performing the multiplications.

Or you can dot ##\vec v_A## with itself and see what you get. You may have to use the scalar triple product property of invariance under circular shift for the cross term.

haruspex said:
Try writing the three vectors, ##\vec v_{cm}, \vec\omega, \vec R##, in ##\hat i, \hat j, \hat k## notation and performing the multiplications.

Thank you so much!

Oh! So the ##\vec\omega## and ##\vec R## are cross-multiplied while the ##\vec v_{A}## is dot produced with itself? If that is the case, then
##\vec\omega## x ##\vec R = <r, 0, 0>## x ## <0, 0, \omega> = <0-0, -wr+0, 0-0> = <0, -wr, 0>##

Letting ##v_{cm}## = <a, b, 0>
##\vec v_{A}## (dot) ##\vec v_{A} ## =<0, -wr, 0>2 +( ##\vec v_{cm}##)2 + ##\vec v_{cm} ## x(<0, -wr, 0>)= w2r2 + (##\vec v_{cm}##)2 - 2wr ##v_{cm} cos \theta##???

*I apologize for the messy text. I still haven't gotten the hang of this syntax.

kuruman said:
Or you can dot ##\vec v_A## with itself and see what you get. You may have to use the scalar triple product property of invariance under circular shift for the cross term.
Thank you!
I think that is what I did above?

Panda1175 said:
I think that is what I did above?
Not quite.
$$\vec v_A\cdot \vec v_A=(\vec v_{cm}+\vec \omega\times \vec R)\cdot (\vec v_{cm}+\vec \omega\times \vec R)=v_{cm}^2+\omega^2R^2+2~\vec v_{cm}\cdot(\vec \omega\times \vec R).$$The first two terms are easy to see where they come from. Consider now the cyclic invariance $$\vec v_{cm}\cdot(\vec \omega\times \vec R)=\vec R \cdot(\vec v_{cm}\times \vec\omega)=\vec \omega \cdot(\vec R\times \vec v_{cm}).$$One of these three terms (which one?) gives you a vector cross product that is in the plane of the wheel. Draw it and see what you get when you dot it with the third vector.

Panda1175 said:
##\vec\omega## x ##\vec R = <r, 0, 0>## x ## <0, 0, \omega> = <0-0, -wr+0, 0-0> = <0, -wr, 0>##

Letting ##v_{cm}## = <a, b, 0>
First, why did you change the order of the cross product? The ##\omega## was first.
Second, if ##\hat i## is the ##v_{cm}## direction, the ##\vec r## coordinates should involve the angle ##\theta##.
Third, why does ##\vec v_{cm}## have a vertical coordinate?
Fourth, you can use \times for the cross product.

kuruman said:
One of these three terms (which one?) gives you a vector cross product that is in the plane of the wheel
Did you mean, one gives a product normal to the wheel?
But the question in post #1 is why the minus sign. The only ways I see to answer that are via a handedness rule or by doing the cross multiplication of coordinates.

haruspex said:
Did you mean, one gives a product normal to the wheel?
Yes.
haruspex said:
But the question in post #1 is why the minus sign. The only ways I see to answer that are via a handedness rule or by doing the cross multiplication of coordinates.
Or by a drawing. The handedness rule must always be invoked because of the cross product between the vectors themselves of the unit vectors in terms of which one writes them.

Consider the cross term and its two cyclic equivalents $$\vec v_{cm}\cdot(\vec \omega\times \vec R)=\vec R \cdot(\vec v_{cm}\times \vec\omega)=\vec \omega \cdot(\vec R\times \vec v_{cm}).$$ In cases (A) and (B) in the figure below, the angle between the vectors to be dotted is greater than ##\frac{\pi}{2}## so the dot product is negative. In case (C) the vectors to be dotted are antiparallel. Cases (B) and (C) are easier than (A) for finding the entire term using ##\vec A\cdot \vec B=|\vec A||\vec B|\cos\theta## because the cross product involved is along one of the principal axes. The derivations are shown below the figure.
RollingWheelCrossProduct.png

Case (B) ##[\vec R \cdot(\vec v_{cm}\times \vec\omega)##]
##|\vec v_{cm}\times \vec\omega|=v_{cm}~\omega## so that ##\vec R \cdot(\vec v_{cm}\times \vec\omega)=R~v_{cm}~\omega~\cos(\pi-\theta)=-\omega R v_{cm} \cos\theta.##

Case (C) ##[\vec \omega \cdot(\vec R\times \vec v_{cm})]##
##|\vec R\times \vec v_{cm}|=v_{cm}R\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta)=v_{cm}R\cos\theta.## The direction of this cross product is ##-(\hat {\omega})## so that ##\vec \omega \cdot(\vec R\times \vec v_{cm})=-\omega R v_{cm} \cos\theta.##

kuruman said:
The handedness rule must always be invoked because of the cross product between the vectors themselves of the unit vectors in terms of which one writes them.
… in terms of the order in which one writes them.
Yes, but @Panda1175 had that in the solution quoted, and perhaps knew the vector formula anyway. The question being asked was how to get from that to the scalar form with the correct sign.

If it's only a question of sign, then I think diagram (C) is the best way to figure it out. It shows that the sign is positive/negative if ##\vec R## is above/below that horizontal.

What is the unknown in a math equation?

The unknown in a math equation is the value that is being solved for or the missing piece of information that is needed to complete the equation.

How do you solve for the unknown in a math equation?

To solve for the unknown in a math equation, you need to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation of what is being done to the unknown variable on both sides of the equation.

What are some common methods for solving for the unknown in a math equation?

Some common methods for solving for the unknown in a math equation include using the order of operations, using the distributive property, and using algebraic properties such as the addition and multiplication properties of equality.

Why is it important to solve for the unknown in a math equation?

Solving for the unknown in a math equation is important because it allows us to find the missing information or the value that we are looking for. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different variables in the equation.

What are some tips for solving for the unknown in a math equation?

Some tips for solving for the unknown in a math equation include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, and using the appropriate method or strategy for solving the equation. It is also important to check your answer to ensure that it makes sense in the context of the problem.