Find the temperature and total radiancy of star

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of stars acting like perfect blackbodies, and the properties of two stars A and B with different surface temperatures. Using Wien's formula, it is determined that the temperature of star B is twice that of star A. The conversation also mentions a scenario involving a spaceship positioned between the stars and the use of the Doppler shift formula to calculate the relative velocity of the stars. The importance of showing effort when seeking help is also mentioned.
stunner5000pt
Thank you in advance for your help!

Stars act like perfect blackbodies. Star A has a surface temperature of 10^12 K. For another star B the wavelength at which the spectral radiancy is a maximum [tex] (\lambda_{max})^B [/tex] is half taht of star A.

a) Find the temperature and total radiancy of star B.(per sq m)

Using Wien's formula
Lambda T = constant

Lambda(A) T(A) = 2 Lambda (B) T(A) = Lambda(B) = T(B)
So the temperature of B is twice that of A

Also since w = 2898micormetres K then i can find out lambda.

C) A spaceship is positioned on the straight line betwen the stars A and B. The spaceship is at rest with respect to star A. Stars A and B have relative velocities such that the spectral radiancy from B appears to be 1/3 rd its wavelength. What is the relative velocity of th stars?

If the wavelength is smaller than B must be approching A(yes?) then the doppler shift formula iwth the + on top would be used.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far on any of these problems?

Tide said:
What have you done so far on any of these problems?
what do you mean ?

By the way I'm fine i understand this problem quite well, i would appreciate your help with this one

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49868

stunner5000pt said:
what do you mean ?

By the way I'm fine i understand this problem quite well, i would appreciate your help with this one

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49868

What I mean is that according to the forum rules you should indicate what work you've done so far on the problems for which you are seeking help. People are more than willing to help out if you give some indication of the effort you've made at solving a problem before you post it here but they reluctant to provide outright solutions when problems are posted with no work shown. It's not a homework service!

1. What is the temperature of a star and how is it measured?

The temperature of a star is measured by using a spectrometer to analyze the wavelengths of light emitted by the star. The peak wavelength of light corresponds to the temperature of the star, with hotter stars having shorter peak wavelengths and cooler stars having longer peak wavelengths.

2. How does the temperature of a star affect its color?

The temperature of a star directly affects its color. Hotter stars appear blue or white, while cooler stars appear red or orange. This is due to the different wavelengths of light that are emitted based on the star's temperature.

3. What is radiancy and how is it related to the temperature of a star?

Radiancy is the amount of energy emitted by a star in the form of electromagnetic radiation. It is directly related to the temperature of a star, as hotter stars emit more energy and have a higher radiancy compared to cooler stars.

4. How is the total radiancy of a star calculated?

The total radiancy of a star is calculated by multiplying the star's surface area by its surface temperature to the fourth power. This is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law and is used to determine the total energy emitted by a star.

5. Can the temperature and total radiancy of a star change over time?

Yes, the temperature and total radiancy of a star can change over time. Stars go through different stages of evolution, which can cause fluctuations in their temperature and radiancy. Additionally, external factors such as collisions with other stars or changes in the star's fuel source can also impact these values.