What is the Tension in a Rotating String?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a body of mass 1.00kg rotating on a horizontal, frictionless table with a string of length 40cm and a speed of revolution of 2.0m/s. The question is to find the tension of the string, and the equations a = v^2 / r, f = ma, and v = 2∏rf are provided for reference. The person asking for help eventually figures out the solution.
Rohaaan

Homework Statement

A body of mass 1.00kg is tied to a string and rotates on a horizontal, frictionless table. If the length of the string is 40cm and the speed of revolution is 2.0m/s, find the tension of the string.

Homework Equations

a = v^2 / r

f = ma

v = 2∏rf

Physics news on Phys.org
Rohaaan said:

Homework Statement

A body of mass 1.00kg is tied to a string and rotates on a horizontal, frictionless table. If the length of the string is 40cm and the speed of revolution is 2.0m/s, find the tension of the string.

Homework Equations

a = v^2 / r

f = ma

v = 2∏rf

Care to show us your attempts. ;)

What are the forces acting on the body?

I would attempt it, but I don't really know how to go about it. :(

Rohaaan said:
I would attempt it, but I don't really know how to go about it. :(

Can you tell what forces are acting on the body?

Don't worry man, I just worked it out thanks. :)

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the amount of force pulling on the string, which causes it to stretch or become taut.

2. How do you calculate tension in a string?

Tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. It is also important to consider the properties of the string, such as its elasticity and weight, when calculating tension.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is affected by several factors, including the amount of force applied, the length and thickness of the string, and the properties of the material the string is made of.

4. How does tension in a string affect its behavior?

The tension in a string can affect its behavior in various ways. For example, a higher tension can cause the string to vibrate at a higher frequency, while a lower tension can cause the string to produce a lower frequency sound.

5. Why is it important to find the tension in a string?

Finding the tension in a string is important for understanding the behavior of the string, such as how it will vibrate or how much weight it can support. It is also necessary for ensuring the safe and efficient use of the string in various applications, such as musical instruments or engineering structures.