Find the the axial-force in the member BC

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the axial-force in member BC of a setup shown in a drawing. The person seeking help is unsure of where to begin and mentions that the answer is supposed to be G-\sqrt{G^2-GF}. They are advised to start by drawing a free body diagram and resolving the forces parallel and perpendicular to the bar. It is noted that the lack of an angle given may not be necessary due to the system adjusting itself for equilibrium. The difficulty of the problem is mentioned and the conversation ends with a question about how to determine the angles.
TSN79
I've come across a problem I can't solve, and I'm hoping you can help me out here...I've got this setup you can see in the drawing. I'm supposed to find the the axial-force in the member BC. I don't even know where to begin...the answer is supposed to be [tex]G-\sqrt{G^2-GF}[/tex]
Anyone...?

Attachments

• statics.jpg
    statics.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
It always helps to start these problems by drawing a free body diagram.

Draw one for the bar, and mark on it all forces. You should then be able to start resolving the forces, parallel and perpendicular to the bar.

See how you get on.

the big problem is there is no angle given - and probably not necessary - because the system will adjust itself for a suitable equilibrium- the pulleys are smooth.

this is difficult. can anyone do it?

how on Earth can we determine the angles? ?

1. What is axial force in a member?

Axial force is the force that is applied along the length of a member, either in tension or compression. It is the result of external loads acting on the member and can cause the member to either elongate or shorten.

2. How is axial force calculated in a member?

Axial force is calculated using the formula F = A x σ, where F is the axial force, A is the cross-sectional area of the member, and σ is the stress acting on the member.

3. What is the difference between axial force and shear force?

Axial force is a type of force that acts along the length of a member, while shear force is a type of force that acts perpendicular to the length of a member. Axial force can cause the member to elongate or shorten, while shear force can cause the member to bend or shear.

4. How do external loads affect the axial force in a member?

External loads, such as weight or applied forces, can cause axial forces to act on a member. If the external load is in the same direction as the member, it will result in a tensile axial force. If the external load is in the opposite direction, it will result in a compressive axial force.

5. Can the axial force in a member change over time?

Yes, the axial force in a member can change over time due to variations in external loads or structural changes. It is important to consider the possibility of changes in axial force when designing structures to ensure they can withstand potential changes in forces.