How Long Does a Particle Thrown at an Angle Travel Until It Lands?

In summary, the particle is thrown at an angle of pi/3 radians with a speed of 10m/s. The maximum height is equal to the distance of fall, and the time of movement is 1 second. When using the formulas for maximal height and maximal fall, the values do not match up. This could be due to the angle being measured from the horizontal or vertical axis, and the problem may need to be clarified for a more accurate solution.
annalian

Homework Statement

A particle is thrown in the angle pi/3 radian with speed 10m/S. Find the time of movement if the maximal height is equal to the distance of fall.

Homework Equations

v^2-voy^2=2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

0-10^2*3/4=2*10*hmax
hmax=3.75
v0x*2t=3.75
v0*cos60*2t=3.75
10*0.5*2*t=3.75
t=0.375. The answer in my book is 1S.
I also want to know why whe I use the formula of maximal height v0^2sin^a/2g and maximal fallL=v0^2sin2a/g with the data from the problem they don't come out to be equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
annalian said:

Homework Statement

A particle is thrown in the angle pi/3 radian with speed 10m/S. Find the time of movement if the maximal height is equal to the distance of fall.

Homework Equations

v^2-voy^2=2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

0-10^2*3/4=2*10*hmax
hmax=3.75
v0x*2t=3.75
v0*cos60*2t=3.75
10*0.5*2*t=3.75
t=0.375. The answer in my book is 1S.
I also want to know why whe I use the formula of maximal height v0^2sin^a/2g and maximal fallL=v0^2sin2a/g with the data from the problem they don't come out to be equal.
Can you explain what "time of movement" is? Is this the total time while the particle is in the air? What is the exact wording of the problem?

I am getting the same maximum height and using the equation $$ h = \frac{1}{2}at^2 $$ I am getting a total flight time of ## \sqrt{3} ##

Last edited:
Likes Biker
There seems to be too much information. That can be fixed by dropping the assumption that it lands at the same height it was launched at, but I still don't get the book answers.

The angle of pi/3 radians might be measured from the vertical axis.

Likes TomHart and Jamison Lahman
PhanthomJay said:
The angle of pi/3 radians might be measured from the vertical axis.
By dropping the assumption that it lands at the same height it was launched at, using pi/3 as angle to the horizontal I get a time of 1/4 s. Taking it as angle to the vertical makes it even less. To get a time of 1s I need a launch angle of acos(√2-1) to the horizontal, or about 65 degrees. That's using g=10m/s2.

Poorly worded problem I can only assume it it is thrown at pi/3 radians with vertical on level ground. Vert comp of velocity thus 5 m/s. Rises to a height h then falls back vert distance h to ground, which is a 2nd assumption. Half sec up and half sec down. Problem should be tossed.

PhanthomJay said:
Rises to a height h then falls back vert distance h to ground
Right, so it was just a confusing way of saying it lands back at the height it was thrown from. Well deduced.

What is "Find the time of movement"?

"Find the time of movement" is a scientific concept that refers to the process of determining the duration of a particular movement or activity. It involves measuring the time it takes for an object or organism to complete a specific movement or task.

Why is it important to find the time of movement?

Finding the time of movement is important because it allows us to better understand the speed, efficiency, and effectiveness of various movements and activities. This information can then be used to improve and optimize processes and systems, such as in sports training, industrial production, or animal behavior studies.

What are some methods used to find the time of movement?

There are several methods that can be used to find the time of movement, including using a stopwatch or timer, motion sensors, high-speed cameras, and motion analysis software. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific movement being studied and the level of accuracy required.

How does finding the time of movement contribute to scientific research?

Finding the time of movement is a crucial aspect of many scientific studies, as it provides quantitative data that can be analyzed and compared. This data can then be used to make conclusions and predictions, test hypotheses, and contribute to the overall understanding of the natural world.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of finding the time of movement?

The accuracy of finding the time of movement can be affected by various factors such as human error, equipment limitations, environmental conditions, and the complexity of the movement itself. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors in order to obtain reliable and valid results.