1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the torque on a bent pipe

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a steady flow of liquid with a density of 805 kg/m3 through a rotating tube as shown in the sketch. The flow speed is V = 5 m/s. If ω = 10 rad/s, find the torque necessary to rotate the pipe. Assume a uniform velocity distribution at the exit from the pipe, and that the
    incoming fluid has no angular momentum.

2. Relevant equations

Conversation of momentum and Rotational Forces

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I calculated the force of the fluid on the pipe, which is ρV(∏D^4)/4, which can be split up to y and x components, by multiplying cosθ and sinθ, respectively. However, this does not create any moment about the axis of rotation. So, my guess is that the x component of the force provides the centripetal force of the ω rotation. Given that F = mv^2/r, I'm thinking that the we can find the torque by Fr = mv^2, since we know v. Now, can someone help me find out what m ought to be? Is it just the mass of the bent pipe portion?

I think this is a valid attempt a solution, I only need a bit of concept cleared up. I hope someone will review this question please.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted