1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the unit vector?

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Linear Algebra:

For all the unit vectors u=[x,y,z]^T in R^3. Find the one for which the sum x+8y+2z is minimal. (u is a 3 x 1 vector)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried working this with the least squares method...it wasn't right. I am probably overthinking this.

Any help is appreciated! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

all the unit vectors repressent a sphere of radius one

consider the plane x+8y+2z = c for some arbitrary c, each c representing a a different plane

you basically want to find the plane with the smallest c that still intersects the sphere (hint: which will be at only one point on the sphere... think directions)
  4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

The problem is simply to minimize x+ 8y+ 2z= 0 with the constraint [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex].

"Lagrange multiplier method" seems in order.
  5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

lagrange is good & will work, but i think if you just consider which direction leads to a single intersection of the plane and sphere you can skip a couple of steps, though all sama sama
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook