1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the value of A^2

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the homework template
    please check the attachment below. The question and the attempted solution is found there. Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have great difficulty reading this but it appears that you are integrating the function A (sin(2pi/L) x from 0 to L. That a rather trivial integral. Are you sure it isn't A sin((2pi/L) x)= A sin(2pi x/L)?

You also have "x" in your final answer. Since this is a definite integral, evaluated for x equal to the limits of integration, there should be no "x" in the result.

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much hallsoflvy for your reply. I am very grateful! I have attached a new picture to this email. I am looking for the value of A when the function is equal to zero. The final answer is sqrt (2/L). I want to understand the steps and how they got the final answer. Thanks so much in advance!

Attached Files:

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your attachment is essentially unreadable. Why not adhere to PF standards and just type out the problem and your proposed solution?

6. Feb 8, 2015 #5
    Doing this would also help future readers, in case your picture gets deleted or something.

7. Feb 8, 2015 #6
    Hey Ray, please look at the updated attachment below. I have tried to edit the old one but dont see any button that would allow me do so. Thanks so much for your help in advance! :)

Attached Files:

8. Feb 8, 2015 #7
    The ##X## is most likely an argument of the function ##\sin##, that is, it should be inside the brackets. Why are you studying quantum mechanics without doing calculus first? You should definitely study calculus before. This is the simplest math you'll encounter.

But answering your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus#Corollary

9. Feb 8, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once again, you have not completed the integral- evaluate it at the two limits of integration and subtract. After that it should be easy to solve the equation for A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted