Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the value of ?

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the value of sin inverse (2 ) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This was a question in my final exam & i had no clue about it

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    is it a real value? what is the domain of the ArcSin function?

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    No extra information was given

5. Apr 5, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Suppose such a value, k, exists, so that [tex]\arcsin 2 = k[/tex]. Then taking sines of both sides, [tex]sin (k) = 2[/tex]. However, the sine function is bounded between -1 and 1 for all real numbers. Hence there is no real solution.

6. Apr 5, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… hyperbolic sines … !

Hi mkbh_10! Hope you passed! :smile:

Hint: cosh ix = cosx, and sinh ix = isinx.

(that's why sinh is called the hyperbolic sin!)

So sin(x + iy) = sinx cos iy + cosx sin iy = sinx coshy - i cosx sinhy;

so you needed cosx = 0, and … ? :smile:

7. Apr 5, 2008 #6

But there is no hyperbolic sine function in the question ?

I am studying in DU (Delhi University ) so results will only be out in mid July . I will definitely pass but i want top marks which i will not be getting in this paper coz of my silly mistakes .

8. Apr 5, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What course is this for? That's important. If you are studying complex numbers in the course, then there is a solution, if not, there is no solution.

And just because there is no "hyperbolic sine" in the problem doesn't mean you can't use one to solve it.

9. Apr 5, 2008 #8
    i have not found it anywhere in my course , thats why i am asking , i didn't study this type of question neither did our teacher taught nor does the book has this type of questions

10. Apr 5, 2008 #9
    i have studied complex numbers but i have no clue about it

11. Apr 5, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… really unfair … !

That's really unfair! :mad:

(even if you've done things like log(-1) and log(i), sin(ix) isn't obvious, and should have been pointed out to you, IMO)

(Check the official syllabus, to see if it's on it … if it's not, complain about the exam … if it is, check with your fellow students, and make a joint request for credit for that question … will your student union help you with that?)

(btw, sin (π/2 - isinh^(-1)2) = 2)

12. Apr 5, 2008 #11
    this is india, nothing happens at student level , & there are 30-40 clgs in DU that have this course & who knows what teacher teaches in a particular topic

13. Apr 5, 2008 #12
    share your pain bro.. share your pain.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook