Find the vector equation of the line that passes through the point P and intersects with the straight lines R and S

Homework Statement:

Get a vector equation of the line that pass by the point P and intersect with the straight line R and S

Relevant Equations:

All below.
1593647438949.png

I think that we can say that PPR = α*PRPS
where PR and PS are the points where occurs the intersection on the line R and S.
Obs: line r and s are found by knowing that the straight line intersection of two planes are
n1 X n2 [cross product]

Lr = (0,1,-2) + y(-1,1,1)
Ls = (0,1,-1) + u(1,2,1)

This leave us to three equation and three incognits

1593647649885.png

Three real solution, but the answer is that is impossible, why?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm not quite sure what you actually want, but I don't think your equation for ##L_r## satisfies your definition for line ##r##.

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
where PR and PS are the points where occurs the intersection on the line R and S.
I agree
Obs: line r and s are found by knowing that the straight line intersection of two planes are
n1 X n2 [cross product]
I presume you are referring to (1) the plane containing point P and line R and (2) the plane containing point P and line S. Yes it's correct, and a good insight, that the line we seek lies in the intersection of those two planes.
Lr = (0,1,-2) + y(-1,1,1)
Parametrising on y, I get Lr = (-1, 0, -1) + y(-1, 1, -1), which differs from yours in 4 out of 6 places.
Why did you not parametrise on x, which is easier? :
Lr = (0, 1, -2) + x(1, -1, 1)
If we replace your y by x, what you wrote is closer to this, but still differs in two places.
Ls = (0,1,-1) + u(1,2,1)
I agree with this one, and we could replace u by x so as to parametrise in the same way as we did for Lr, to write
Ls = (0,1,-1) + x(1,2,1)
This leave us to three equation and three incognits

View attachment 265641

Three real solution, but the answer is that is impossible, why?
I couldn't quite follow this. I expected to see the equation written as follows:
$$y = a_yx + b_y$$
$$z = a_zx + b_z$$
(assuming the line is not perpendicular to the x axis)

I haven't done the calcs but perhaps if you correct your parametrisations as per above, your solution will match that in the book.

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
n1 X n2 [cross product]
I presume you are referring to (1) the plane containing point P and line R and (2) the plane containing point P and line S.
I interpreted @LCSphysicist's remark as referring to the fact line R (and likewise line S) is given in terms of two planes, z=z(x) and y=y(x). Taking the cross product of their normals gives a vector parallel to their line of intersection.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Lr = (0,1,-2)+ y(-1,1,1)
Please explain your PPR, PRPS notation.
Did you mean Lr = (0,1,-2)+ y(1,-1,1)?
Reusing y is confusing. How about u and v as the parameters?

No idea how you got your last trio of equations, but I would rebase the origin to be at P. Then all you need is a point on each of R and S (i.e. u and v values) such that their vector representations are collinear (cross product is zero). Add back in P at the end.

The attachment appears to be a different question.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Update: my relatively simple method still gave crazy answers. I believe the problem is that the line S is parallel to the plane containing P and R (and likewise mutatis mutandis). So there are no solutions.

Fwiw, here's my method in general:
Normalise so that P is the origin. Represent the points on lines R and S parametrically as ##\vec R+r\vec R'##, etc.
If r and s are the parameters for the points where the sought line intersects them, the vectors for these points are collinear, so have a zero cross product:
##(\vec R+r\vec R')\times(\vec S+s\vec S')=0##
Expanding, and taking the dot product with ##\vec S'## to eliminate references to s:
##r=-\frac{\vec S'.(\vec R\times\vec S)}{\vec S'.(\vec R'\times\vec S)}=-\frac{\vec R.(\vec S'\times\vec S)}{\vec R'.(\vec S'\times\vec S)}##

Last edited: