Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the car and the Earth

In summary: I think the car would have to move a lot closer to the rain for it to have any effect on it. In summary, the rain's vertical velocity is the same as the car's and the Earth's, but the horizontal velocity is different.
tubworld
I would like to confirm the answer to this question.

A car travels due east with a speed of 50.0 km/h. Raindrops are falling at a constant speed vertically with respect to the Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 75.0° with the vertical. Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the car and the Earth.

Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean relative motion :tongue2:

You have 3 frames of reference: one attached to the rain, another one to the car and the last one to the Earth. Using Galilean Transformations and basic trigonometry you should be able to solve it...

GDogg said:
You mean relative motion :tongue2:

You have 3 frames of reference: one attached to the rain, another one to the car and the last one to the Earth. Using Galilean Transformations and basic trigonometry you should be able to solve it...

You don't even need any Transformations, just use trigonometry. You can construct a right angled triangle.

Regards,

Nenad

I'd solve this in the car's frame of reference. The vertical component of the raindrop velocity is the same for the car and earth. So you just have to figure out the horizontal component. It's not that hard.

unsure still. horizontal component or vertical

I tried. But which is which? Is the horizontal component the speed relative to the car or the what?
pls help! I really suck at this!

tubworld said:
I tried. But which is which? Is the horizontal component the speed relative to the car or the what?
pls help! I really suck at this!
In the frame of reference of the earth, the velocity vector for the rain is directed vertically downward. If you are in the frame of reference of the car, the rain appears also to be moving horizontally rearward at 50 km/hr. So it appears to have its vertical velocity plus a horizontal velocity of 50 km/hr in the rearward direction. You have to find the magnitude of the vertical vector such that, when added to the rearward horizontal vector, results in a vector that has a direction that is 75 degrees to the vertical (15 degrees below the horizontal).

AM

1. What is the velocity of rain with respect to the car?

The velocity of rain with respect to the car depends on the speed and direction of the car as well as the speed and direction of the rain. If the car is stationary, the velocity of rain with respect to the car will be equal to the velocity of the rain. However, if the car is moving, the velocity of rain with respect to the car will be the vector sum of the velocity of the car and the velocity of the rain.

2. How is the velocity of rain with respect to the Earth calculated?

The velocity of rain with respect to the Earth is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the Earth from the velocity of the rain. This takes into account the rotation and revolution of the Earth, which can impact the velocity of the rain.

3. Why is it important to know the velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth?

Knowing the velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth can provide valuable information for weather forecasting, transportation planning, and understanding the impact of rain on different surfaces. It can also help with determining the trajectory of raindrops during rainfall events.

4. How is the velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth measured?

The velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth can be measured using different techniques such as Doppler radar, weather balloons, and rain gauges. These instruments can track the movement and speed of raindrops to determine their velocity.

5. Can the velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth change over time?

Yes, the velocity of rain with respect to the car and the Earth can change over time due to various factors such as changes in wind patterns, temperature, and topography. It is important to continuously monitor and measure the velocity of rain to accurately understand and predict weather patterns.