1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the voltage at node c.

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    Hello, I'm stuck on this question, it asks to find the voltage at node c (on the circuit below) then use this value to work out other values of the op amp circuit.

I tried using kirchoff's laws but that didn't work, then I used thevenins. Basically I took out the 6k and 8k resistors and calculated the voltage difference between the two 3k resistors and got 10.5V. Then I took away the two 3k resistors and put back the 8k and 6k then using the 10.5v found the voltage drop across the 6k resistor i.e. (6k x 10.5v)/(6k + 9k) and got 4.5v. I then took 4.5 from 10.5 and got 6 volts. However I don't have answers to this question so I'm unsure if I've got the right answer and/or my method is correct, which I doubt.

Any help on how to approach this question would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2
    The correct answer is 6V. Why you don't use nodal analysis? Also are you aware that thanks to negative feedback action the voltage at point B must be equal the voltage at point A? If so VA = 0V so the VB also must be equal to 0V.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. Dec 31, 2013 #3
    Mainly because I'm an idiot.

5. Dec 31, 2013 #4
    Don't be so harsh on yourself, new year is coming.

I think that you should try again but this time use KCL.

For this diagram

attachment.php?attachmentid=65257&stc=1&d=1388503829.jpg

We can write for node C the KCL

I1 = I2 + I3 + I4 and additional

I1 = (21V - Vc)/3K

I2 = Vc/6K

I3 = (Vc - Vd)/8K

I4 = ??

Next do the same thing for B node and next instead VB put VB = 0V and solve this simultaneous equations.

Attached Files:

6. Dec 31, 2013 #5

I'm missing something here I'm putting I4 as (Vc-Vb)/3k

and for node B

(Vc-Vb)/3k = (Vb-Vd)/5k.

But this doesn't seem to be right.

7. Dec 31, 2013 #6
    Very good

Why? I don't see any mistake. The ideal opamp has infinite input impedance. That means its inputs don't draw any current at all. And this is why I4 = I5
    So you have all information needed to solve this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted