1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume between y=-2x + 4, x-axis, x=1, about the line x=1. Check my work?

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    Find the volume between y=-2x + 4, x-axis, x=1, about the line x=1. Check my work? :)

Hi, everyone.

1. Find the volume of the region between y= -2x + 4, x-axis, x=1, about the line x=1.

I tried to post this before, but I don't think it went through!

2. Alright, so I first drew it out, and the shape is a cone.
    Since it revolves around a y-axis, the limits should be also in terms of y.
    Every cross-section is a circle.

So this is how I wrote it out:

∫0 to 4 of ∏[((-y/2) + 1)^2]dy

∫0 to 4 of ∏[(y^2/4) -y + 1]

= 1/4 * (y^3)/3) - (y^2)/2) + x |0 to 4

= ((y^3)/12) - 1/2(y^2) + x |0 to 4

= ((4)^3)/3 - 1/2(4)^2 + 4 -(0)

= 64/12 - 8 + 4

= 1.33 or 4/3

So... Is that right?
    Thank you so much for checking my work! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Find the volume between y=-2x + 4, x-axis, x=1, about the line x=1. Check my work

What is the exact problem statement? What you have is confusing. Is the region bounded by y = -2x + 4, the x-axis, and the line x = 1 revolved about some line? You don't mention the word "revolved" in your problem statement.

Is the region revolved about the line x = 1 or about the y-axis (the line x = 0)?

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    Re: Find the volume between y=-2x + 4, x-axis, x=1, about the line x=1. Check my work

Yes, it is revolved about the line x=1.

Sorry about the confusion.

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Jan 20, 2013 #5

Thanks for checking it! :)

I made a lot of mistakes in my work, but I managed to get the right answer! I'll have to fix those!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook