1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of the solid which is bounded by the cylinders

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    Q. Find the volume of the solid which is bounded by the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and y^2 + z^2 = r^2. To me they don't really look like equations of cylinders, more like circles. Would the term "r" be constant in this case? Or would it be a variable? Even if r is a variable, I don't understand why the equations contain its square, rather than just "r" itself. Are the given equations standard equations for a clinder?

I'm just having trouble interpreting the equations at this stage. Help would be apppreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,as you can see,in the first equation,the "z" variable is free to take any real value.That means that the circle [itex]x^2 +y^2 =r^2 [/itex] is free to move along the "z" axis,and thus generating a surface called "right circular cylinder".

The same goes for the other equation.So you've got 2 intersecting right circular cylinders and you need to find the volume.Better make a drawing to find the limits of integration and then choose cylindrical coordinates.

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help dex. Although, up to the section of my book from which I got this question, cylindrical and spherical coordinates haven't been covered yet. I'll see if I can find another way around this one.
  5. Jun 16, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a picture of your solid

plus a lot more, unfortunately. See if you can work it out for yourself once you understand the shape before you just take the solution. r is constant for the integration. Of course the volume depends on r.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?