Find the volume of the solid which is bounded by the cylinders

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid bounded by two cylinders, with the questioner seeking clarification on the equations and variables involved. The respondent suggests using cylindrical coordinates and provides a helpful image of the solid. The questioner is encouraged to try to solve the problem on their own before seeking the solution.
Benny
Q. Find the volume of the solid which is bounded by the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and y^2 + z^2 = r^2. To me they don't really look like equations of cylinders, more like circles. Would the term "r" be constant in this case? Or would it be a variable? Even if r is a variable, I don't understand why the equations contain its square, rather than just "r" itself. Are the given equations standard equations for a clinder?

I'm just having trouble interpreting the equations at this stage. Help would be apppreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,as you can see,in the first equation,the "z" variable is free to take any real value.That means that the circle [itex]x^2 +y^2 =r^2 [/itex] is free to move along the "z" axis,and thus generating a surface called "right circular cylinder".

The same goes for the other equation.So you've got 2 intersecting right circular cylinders and you need to find the volume.Better make a drawing to find the limits of integration and then choose cylindrical coordinates.

Daniel.

Thanks for the help dex. Although, up to the section of my book from which I got this question, cylindrical and spherical coordinates haven't been covered yet. I'll see if I can find another way around this one.

Benny said:
Q. Find the volume of the solid which is bounded by the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and y^2 + z^2 = r^2. To me they don't really look like equations of cylinders, more like circles. Would the term "r" be constant in this case? Or would it be a variable? Even if r is a variable, I don't understand why the equations contain its square, rather than just "r" itself. Are the given equations standard equations for a clinder?

I'm just having trouble interpreting the equations at this stage. Help would be apppreciated.
Here's a picture of your solid

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SteinmetzSolid.html

plus a lot more, unfortunately. See if you can work it out for yourself once you understand the shape before you just take the solution. r is constant for the integration. Of course the volume depends on r.

What does it mean to find the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders?

Finding the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders involves calculating the amount of space taken up by the object that is enclosed by multiple cylindrical shapes.

What are the dimensions needed to find the volume of the solid bounded by cylinders?

The dimensions needed to find the volume of the solid bounded by cylinders include the height and radius of each cylinder, as well as the number of cylinders present.

How do you calculate the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders?

To calculate the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders, first find the volume of each individual cylinder using the formula V = πr²h. Then, add the volumes of all the cylinders together to get the total volume of the solid.

What are some real-world applications of finding the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders?

Finding the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders can be used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction. It can also be helpful in calculating the capacity of containers or tanks.

What are some tips for finding the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders?

Some tips for finding the volume of a solid bounded by cylinders include making sure all measurements are in the same unit, using the correct formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder, and double-checking your calculations for accuracy.