1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of the solid

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the line y=1.

y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex] , y = x

I couldn't figure out if a should subtract one from x or from y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex]. I don't know if I'm doing this right I tried subtracting it from x and got a negative area.

I also used this formula:
    [tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]r^2 h

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Volume

This formula is to be used when your typical volume element is a circular disk of radius r and thickness h. It is not at all applicable in this problem. Have you drawn a sketch of the region bounded by the two curves? Have you drawn a sketch of the solid generated when the region is rotated around the line y = 1? These sketches are necessary in helping you understand how to set up your integral. In this problem there are two approaches: cylindrical shells or circular washers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook