1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume: once more

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The textbook I have is horrible in explaining this stuff in the chapter so please bare with me.

So we have the information: Find the volume V inside both the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 and the cone z =sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

2. Relevant equations
    Where the heck do I began? I know this will require triple integration in spherical coordinates and the solution is (2/3)*pi*1^3(1-1/sqrt(2))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the theta integrand is (0,2pi) because there are no bounds, but I have no idea where to find the limits of integration for the phi and zenith integrands. :(

EDIT (1): Just solved for the intersections of the sphere and cone and got z = 1/sqrt(2))
    EDIT (2): Since phi = 1 and z = (1/sqrt(2)), it's safe to conclude that the zenith angle is pi/4...but what would be it's upper limit?
    EDIT (3): I believe the limits for phi is 0 to pi/4. But I'm not quite sure why though? I think I got the integrands all figured out. I believe it's: for p = (0,1), phi = (0, pi/4) and theta = (0,2pi).

So overall, could someone just briefly explain to me why phi's limits of integration is from 0 to pi/4. thanks a bunch :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looking at the figure from the side (along the negative y-axis), you should see a circle and a "V" (y= 0 so the equations are [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex], a circle, and [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2}= |x|[/itex]). The "co-latitude", [itex]\phi[/itex], goes from directly up the z-axis, [itex]\phi= 0[/itex], to the line z= x, which bisects the right angle between the x and z axes and so makes angle [itex]\pi/4[/itex] with the z-axis.

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sorry. Undressing is forbidden in this forum. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook