1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume V

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume V of the solid inside both x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4 and x^2 + y^2 = 1.

2. Relevant equations
    So I get how to set it up; you use cylindrical coordinates because it makes life a whole lot simpler BUT the answer is (4pi/3)(8-3^(3/2)) and I got (2pi/3)(8-3^(3/2)). So as you can see, I'm off by a factor of 2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The integrands I have are: z=(0,sqrt(4-r^2); theta = (0, 2pi) and r = (0,1). Since I'm off by a factor of 2, I'm thinking that for theta I should integrate from 0 to 4pi, but conceptually I don't get why.

Any and all help would be much appreciated! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You just found the volume above the xy plane. There is an equal volume below the xy plane.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    I love this freaking forum!!! so would theta range from -2pi to 2pi ? I only did with respect to the positive axis. Or even simpler just multiply by 2 because I found the area for just half of the xy plane?

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No about the theta; that isn't where the problem is. The problem is your z limit. You went from z = 0 to z on the top surface. You need to either change your lower limit to z on the bottom surface or double your answer because of the symmetry.

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I now see hwere I went wrong. I just reattempted the problem using your advice and changed the z limits from (-sqrt(4-r^2),sqrt(4-r^2)) and got the answer I was supposed to get.

Thanks again for your help and speedy response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook