Help Solve Problem to Find Volume of Solid Revolving Region About Given Line

• Thread starter kari82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the problem is asking to find the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region in the first quadrant bounded by the line y=1, the curve y=√(sin6x), and the y-axis around the line y=1. The possible answers are given but after setting up two possible integrals, none of the answers match. After receiving help, it is determined that the correct integral is from 0 to pi/12.
kari82
I'm pretty lost with this problem. Can someone please help me with this question? Thanks!

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the given line

The region in the first quadrant bounded above by the line y=1, below by the curve y=√(sin6x), and on the left by the y-axis, about the line y=1

a) pi/6 + 6
b)pi/12 - 1/6
c)pi^2/12 - pi/6
d)pi^2/12 + pi/6

I set up two possible integrals

V=pi∫((arcsin y^2)/6)^2 dy from y=0 to y=1

V=pi∫(√ (sin6x))^2 dx from x=0 to x=pi

Im not getting any of the possible answers and I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume by rotating a function f around the X-AXIS, is

[tex] \pi\int_0^2{f(x)^2dx} [/tex]

But you're rotating around the axis y=1. You have to slide down the function first. So the function you should be rotating around the X-axis is [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{\sin(6x)}-1[/tex].

Thanks! Is that the function i need to use? When I put that in my calculator from 0 to 2 still doesn't give me any of the answers.. :-( what am i doing wrong??

No, the ranges in my formula are wrong. You don't have to do it from 0 to 2. You need to do it from 0 to when f becomes 0 (sketch the function, thatll make it easier)

I was wondering where did you get 2 from.. Thanks! I'll try that..

0 to pi/12?

Yes, that seems right.

thank you so much!

1. What is the definition of a solid revolving region?

A solid revolving region is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional region around a given axis or line. This results in a shape with a circular cross-section.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid revolving region?

To find the volume of a solid revolving region, you can use the formula V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the radius of the cross-section at a given x-value and the integral is taken over the interval of the region. This formula is derived from the disk method in calculus.

3. What is the purpose of finding the volume of a solid revolving region?

The volume of a solid revolving region is an important measurement in mathematics and physics. It can be used to calculate the amount of material needed to create a specific shape, the capacity of a container, or the volume of a solid object in real life applications.

4. How does the given line affect the calculation of the volume?

The given line serves as the axis of rotation for the two-dimensional region. The distance between the given line and the cross-section will determine the radius of the cross-section, which is used in the formula for finding the volume. The position of the given line will also affect the shape and orientation of the resulting solid.

5. What are some real-life examples of solid revolving regions?

Some common examples of solid revolving regions include cylinders, cones, and spheres, which can be formed by rotating a rectangle, triangle, or circle respectively. Other examples include bottles, vases, and cans, which have circular cross-sections and are created using the same principle of rotation.