1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the wavelength of the photon

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    Ok so i got this problem in my physics textbook and i'm just struggling with the last part, please help

X-rays are detected at a scattering angle of 163 and have a wavelength of 0.1867 nm. Find (a) the wavelength of an incident photon, (b) the energy of an incident photon, (c) the energy of a scattered photon and (d) the kinetic energy of the recoil electron

Okie the equations i used are the compton shift equation to determine the wavelength of the incident photon (the x-ray) and also used the equation for energy of a photon to calculate the energy of the incident and scattered photon.....but then i got stuck and don't know how to calculate the kinetic energy of the recoil electron:uhh:

I got the incident wavelength to be 4.75 x 10^-12 m, the energy of the incident photon to be 1.09 x 10^-15 J and the energy for the scattered photon to be 1.06 x 10^-15 J. I just need to know how to calculate the kinetic energy of the recoil electron

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    You know the energy of the initial photon, and the enegery of the final photon.

Now use the conservation of energy to calculate how much energy the electron will have, and from that the kinetic energy via the usual formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?