Work Done: Find Solution for 2.7kg Mass Block

In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 2.7kg, a spring with a force constant of 540 N/m, and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.16. The goal is to find the work done by the spring and by friction as the block is moved from point A to point B along path 2. Using the equations for work and the given values, the work done by the spring is calculated to be 0.108 J and the work done by friction is either -0.085 J or -0.015 J, depending on the distance used in the calculation. However, there seems to be an issue with the sign of the first term in the equation for the work of friction
dolpho

Homework Statement

In the system shown in the figure, suppose the block has a mass of 2.7kg , the spring has a force constant of 540 n/m , and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the floor is 0.16.

Find the work done on the block by the spring and by friction as the block is moved from point A to point B along path 2.

http://imgur.com/Rr7lE

Homework Equations

Work = 1/2 mv^2

Work by spring = 1/2 kx^2

Friction work = -Ukmgx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I did; 1/2 (540)(.02m^2) = .108

For the work of friction I used Friction work = -ukmgx = -(.16)(2.7)(9.81)(.02^2) = -.085

I've also tried, -(.16)(2.7)(9.81)(.06^) = -.015

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but MasteringPhysics is saying check my sign on the first term, I added a negative to the first and then it said it was all wrong and didn't give me any hints. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force in the spring initially (point A)? What is it when the block is at point B? What is the average force over that distance?
Btw, you wrote -(.16)(2.7)(9.81)(.02^2), but you obviously didn't mean the ^2.

1. How do you calculate work done?

To calculate work done, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work done is: Work = Force x Distance.

2. What is the unit of work done?

The unit of work done is joules (J). However, in some cases, work can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

3. How do you find the solution for a 2.7kg mass block?

To find the solution for a 2.7kg mass block, you first need to determine the force acting upon the block. This could be in the form of a push or pull from another object. Once you have the force, you can then calculate the work done by multiplying the force by the distance the block moves in the direction of the force.

4. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. In this case, the work done will have a negative value, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object.

5. How does work done relate to energy?

Work done is a measure of energy transfer. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to or from the object, resulting in a change in its energy. Work done can also be used to calculate an object's kinetic or potential energy, depending on the type of work being done.