John and Joe: Twins in Space-Time

• Thread starter Kuiper83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space-time
In summary, in order to determine which twin will be younger when they return home from their trip to far away stars, it is important to consider the proper time and spacetime interval in addition to using the Lorentz transformation. By incorporating these concepts into your calculations, you will be able to accurately determine the time dilation and solve the problem correctly.
Kuiper83

Homework Statement

Two twin astronauts, John and Joe, leave the Earth at the same time for a trip to far away stars. According to their mother, who stays on earth, John reaches a star that is 4 light years away after 5 light years and Joe reaches a star that is 6 light years away after 10 light years. After reaching their destination they return along the same path with the same velocities as their outbound trip. When both twins are back home who will be younger?

Homework Equations

Δs^2=(Δct)^2-(Δx)^2
ct'=γ(ct-xv)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the lorentz transformation in the form of
ct'=γct-βγx
with γ=5/3 and 5/4
and β =3/5 and 4/5
which gave me times of ≈2.6s and 4.45s which means John is younger.

However, while I got the correct temporal relation between the twins I got no credit. Is this because I should have used the proper time/spacetime interval? This was an exam question and I feel like I should have gotten some credit, and so I just wanted to make sure that I had some basis for these claims.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist, it seems like you have approached the problem correctly by using the Lorentz transformation to calculate the time dilation experienced by each twin. However, it is important to also consider the proper time and spacetime interval in your calculations. The proper time is the time measured by an observer who is at rest with respect to the events being measured, and the spacetime interval is the distance in spacetime between two events. In this case, the proper time for each twin would be the time experienced by their mother on Earth, and the spacetime interval would be the distance between the Earth and the stars they traveled to.

By taking into account the proper time and spacetime interval, you will be able to accurately calculate the time dilation and determine which twin is younger when they return home. I encourage you to review your calculations and see if you can incorporate these concepts to get a more accurate result. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How is it possible for twins to be in different places in space-time?

In the theory of relativity, space and time are interconnected. This means that an object's position in space can affect its experience of time and vice versa. In the case of John and Joe, one twin may have traveled at a high velocity or experienced stronger gravitational forces, causing a difference in their experience of time.

2. Could one twin age faster than the other?

Yes, this is known as the "Twin Paradox" in the theory of relativity. Due to the differences in space-time experienced by each twin, one may age faster than the other. This is only noticeable when the twins are reunited and compare their ages.

3. How could studying twins in space-time benefit science?

By studying the effects of space and time on twins, scientists can gain a better understanding of the theory of relativity and how it applies to the real world. This can also lead to advancements in space travel and our understanding of the universe.

4. Is this scenario possible in real life?

While the scenario of twins in space-time is purely hypothetical, it is based on the well-established theory of relativity. Therefore, it is possible in theory, but it would require advanced technology and circumstances that are currently not achievable.

5. Are there any other examples of the theory of relativity in action?

Yes, there are many examples of the theory of relativity in everyday life. For example, the GPS system relies on the theory of relativity to account for the differences in time experienced by satellites and receivers on Earth. Another example is the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational force of massive objects, such as galaxies.