Discover the Output Voltage Vo for Figure Attached

In summary, the current source has 50 volts across it (because it is in series with the two resistors). If you remove the resistor in the middle, the voltage across the current source is still 30 volts.
M. next
Vo=? In terms of the given. This is the attached figure

Attachments

• CircuitAmplifier.png
    CircuitAmplifier.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
I X R?

Tough one.

If the head of the Vo arrow is supposed to be the positive end, then Vo = minus I times little r = -(I * r)

This is because the current is flowing upwards in the right hand side of the loop, so the bottom of the resistor r is positive.

-I*r = Vo.

I see what you guys are saying...but if you remove little r...the voltage is still the same!

Little r has no bearing on v out in my opinion.

psparky said:
I see what you guys are saying...but if you remove little r...the voltage is still the same!

Little r has no bearing on v out in my opinion.

looks to me like if you open little r you have opened the load on a current source, so the voltage will become the maximum the source can produce.
Infinite, for "ideal" source .

So it's little r not big R determines Vo in that circuit.

It helps to put some real sizes on the components:

Let R = 20 ohms, r = 30 ohms and the current source = 1 amp.

Like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/current%20gen.PNG

So, the voltage across the resistor "r" = Vo = (1 amp * 30 ohms) = 30 volts (Negative 30 volts relative to the arrow)
So, the voltage across the resistor "R" = (1 amp * 20 ohms) = 20 volts

With this load, the voltage across the current source is 50 volts (1 amp * (30 ohms + 20 ohms)) and you can get the same result if you regard the resistors as part of a voltage divider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ya...I see what you are saying once again!

The circuit appears to be in parallel at first glance...but apparentlly is not!
The voltage across is clearly not the same. (edit...yes, voltage across is the same)

Still though, If I slide a volt meter across one branch to the other branch I get two different voltages?

How can this be?

Perhaps I can answer this...I can see how the current device has 50 volts across it.
I guess it drops 20 volts across R...leaving 30 volts across each branch.

Must be since the voltmeter is not going to change branch to branch.

Last edited:
Perhaps I can answer this...I can see how the current device has 50 volts across it.
I guess it drops 20 volts across R...leaving 30 volts across each branch.

Yes, that's right, the 50 volts across the current source is partially canceled by the 20 volts across the 20 ohms resistor (because they have opposite polarities in the left hand leg of the loop), so this leaves 30 volts between the top and bottom of the diagram.

vk6kro thank you!

This is a great problem. I have stumped 5 out of 6 elec engineers with this problem at work...including myself.

It is much easier to see when when you re-arrange the circuit in a basic series arrangement. Add the two resistors in series and you get 50 ohms...or 50 volts. Obviously there is 50 volts across the 50 ohm resistor...or current source.

Lesson learned...always re-arrange circuits in a more familiar form...regardless if you are in college...taking state exams or just fooling around on this forum or whatever.

Psparky out...thank you for schooling me as well.

Excellent question M. next...keep em coming.

psparky,

This is a great problem. I have stumped 5 out of 6 elec engineers with this problem at work...including myself.

Psparky out...thank you for schooling me as well.

Excellent question M. next...keep em coming.

Well, I just don't get it. It looks to me like a problem whose solution can be discerned almost as fast as it can be read. I mean, a current source in series with two resistors? What's the big deal?

Ratch

Are those resistance really in series ?

lazyaditya said:
Are those resistance really in series ?

Yes! Redraw the circuit leaving out the vout tails.

You have a current source in series with two resistors...simple as that.

i think answer should be IR !

suppose there are terminals in at the ends of r resistance , that would'nt be in series then and it did not asked for the voltage drop at r it asked for V(0) which would be equal to current in small r when small r and capital R are parallel!

lazyaditya said:
suppose there are terminals in at the ends of r resistance , that would'nt be in series then and it did not asked for the voltage drop at r it asked for V(0) which would be equal to current in small r when small r and capital R are parallel!

I'm not able to picture what you mean. Can you draw it?

NascentOxygen said:
I'm not able to picture what you mean. Can you draw it?

here it is

Attachments

• 22062012379.jpg
    22062012379.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 389
Here is the same circuit as above but redrawn in a more familiar way:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/series%202.PNG

The question asked for the voltage ACROSS the 30 ohm resistor, "r". That is, what voltage would you measure with a voltmeter?

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i got it ! i was confused there ! thanks !

1. What is the purpose of discovering the output voltage Vo for the figure attached?

The purpose of discovering the output voltage Vo is to determine the electrical potential difference between the output of the circuit and the ground. This is important in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the output voltage Vo for the figure attached?

The output voltage Vo can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In this case, Vo = I x R. The current can be found by dividing the voltage of the power source by the total resistance of the circuit.

3. Why is the output voltage Vo important in circuit analysis?

The output voltage Vo is important in circuit analysis because it helps determine the amount of voltage that will be delivered to the load or the next stage of the circuit. It also helps in understanding the power consumption and efficiency of the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the output voltage Vo?

The output voltage Vo can be affected by various factors such as the input voltage, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of components used. Other factors like temperature, noise, and component tolerances can also have an impact on the output voltage.

5. How can I use the output voltage Vo in practical applications?

The output voltage Vo can be used in practical applications to determine the voltage level required for a specific load or device. It can also be used to design and optimize circuits for specific purposes, such as power supplies, amplifiers, and filters.