Find Ratio of Integrals: $\lim_{n \to\infty} I_n/I_{n-2}$

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the author tried to solve a homework equation but failed. After some research, they found a way to integrate by parts but the further integration was useless. They then found a method that worked but it was difficult.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex]I_n = \displaystyle \int^1_0 x^n. \sqrt{1-x^2} dx [/itex] then
[itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{I_n}{I_{n-2}}[/itex] is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating by parts

[itex]x^n \displaystyle \int \sqrt{1-x^2}dx - \int nx^{n-1} \int \sqrt{1-x^2} dx [/itex]

But integrating further is useless.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are integrating it the wrong way. Keep in mind that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{I_n}{I_{n-2}} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{I_{n+2}}{I_{n}}[/itex].

Ignore the above post, I figured out it does not lead to the solution; so you have to resort to more analytic methods. Substituting [itex]u=x^2[/itex] in this integral gives [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int^{1}_{0} u^{(n-1)/2} (1-u)^{1/2}\,\,du[/itex], which is in the form of the general integral [itex]\displaystyle B(a,b) = \int^{1}_{0}x^{a-1}(1-x)^{b-1}\,dx[/itex]. This function is called the Beta function and it happens to satisfy [itex]\displaystyle B(x,y) = \frac{(x-1)!(y-1)!}{(x+y-1)!}[/itex] for integer x and y.

Can you solve it from here?

Note: You might get fractions inside factorials while solving the question. You don't have to know their values, just use the equation [itex](x+1)! = (x+1)x![/itex] to simplify the limit. The reason you will see those is that the equation for the Beta integral is true for a meromorphic Gamma function which satisfies [itex]\Gamma(x+1) = x![/itex], which extends the factorial function to all complex numbers.

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]I_n = \displaystyle \int^1_0 x^n. \sqrt{1-x^2} dx [/itex] then
[itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{I_n}{I_{n-2}}[/itex] is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating by parts

[itex]x^n \displaystyle \int \sqrt{1-x^2}dx - \int nx^{n-1} \int \sqrt{1-x^2} dx [/itex]

But integrating further is useless.

Try leaving one of the x with the ##\sqrt{1-x^2}## term, i.e. factor it as ##x^{n-1}.x\sqrt{1-x^2}dx##, then integrate by parts very much as you did.

haruspex said:
Try leaving one of the x with the ##\sqrt{1-x^2}## term, i.e. factor it as ##x^{n-1}.x\sqrt{1-x^2}dx##, then integrate by parts very much as you did.

Your method was excellent. I just want to know how do you solve these complicated problems in a jiffy?

haruspex said:

Using integration by parts:
[tex]I_n=-\frac{x^{n-1}}{3}(1-x^2)^{3/2}+\int \frac{2}{3}(n-1)x^{n-2}(1-x^2)^{3/2}[/tex]

How do you proceed from here?

Thanks!

[tex]x^{n-2}(1-x^2)^{3/2} = (x^{n-2} - x^{n})\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]
Also, don't leave out the limits.

Millennial said:
[tex]x^{n-2}(1-x^2)^{3/2} = (x^{n-2} - x^{n})\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]
Also, don't leave out the limits.

Thanks!

@utkarshakash: Can you post the answer?

Honestly, having wandered around in articles and pages involving the Gamma and Beta functions, my Beta function solution was the first one that crossed my mind. However, the one provided by haruspex is so much better if you have no prior knowledge on these topics.

utkarshakash said:
Your method was excellent. I just want to know how do you solve these complicated problems in a jiffy?
In this case, by looking at what was to be proved. Since we wanted step the n by 2, and differentiation would only step it by one, we needed to leave one factor of x out of the differentiation.

haruspex said:
In this case, by looking at what was to be proved. Since we wanted step the n by 2, and differentiation would only step it by one, we needed to leave one factor of x out of the differentiation.

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks.

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks!

@utkarshakash: Can you post the answer?

The answer is 1.

utkarshakash said:
The answer is 1.

Thanks!

1. What is the meaning of "Find Ratio of Integrals: $\lim_{n \to\infty} I_n/I_{n-2}$"?

This refers to finding the limit of the ratio of two integrals, where the first integral is represented by In and the second integral is represented by In-2. As n approaches infinity, we are trying to determine the value of this ratio.

2. Why is it important to find the ratio of integrals?

Integrals are an important mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. By finding the ratio of integrals, we can gain insights into the behavior of the function and its area as n approaches infinity. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What does the limit in this expression represent?

The limit in this expression represents the behavior of the ratio of integrals as the number of intervals, represented by n, increases without bound. In other words, we are examining the trend of the ratio as the number of intervals used in the integral calculation becomes larger and larger.

4. How do we calculate the limit of the ratio of integrals?

To calculate the limit, we first evaluate the two integrals separately. Then, we substitute the values into the expression In/In-2 and simplify. Finally, we take the limit as n approaches infinity by seeing what value the expression approaches as n gets larger and larger.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the ratio of integrals?

Finding the ratio of integrals can be useful in various fields such as calculating the average velocity of an object in physics, determining the optimal production level in economics, and estimating the amount of material needed for construction projects in engineering. In general, it can help us understand the behavior of a function in relation to its area as the input value gets larger and larger.