Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y

• Thread starter Guphanti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the time, final vertical velocity, and horizontal velocity given the values of change in X and Y. The units for Vy and Vx are both in m/s and the formula used to calculate these values is y=vinitialy(t)+1/2(9.8)(t)^2 for time, vx=x/t for horizontal velocity, and vfinaly=9.8t for final vertical velocity. Without further information, it is impossible to accurately solve the problem.
Guphanti

Homework Statement

Change in X=0.104m/s
Change in Y=.067m/s

Find time, Vy final and Vx.

This is probably extremely simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Once I understand how to do this one I can do the rest.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guphanti said:

Homework Statement

Change in X=0.104m
Change in Y=.067m

Find time, Vy final and Vx.

This is probably extremely simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Once I understand how to do this one I can do the rest.

Thanks.
What are the units of Vy and Vx? Do you have enough information in your given data to deliver those units in a calculation?

Without further information, this is impossible. Please give the full, exact problem statement.

gneill said:
What are the units of Vy and Vx? Do you have enough information in your given data to deliver those units in a calculation?

It is all m/s. I think I figured it out. I used a vertical equation y=vinitialy(t)+1/2(9.8)(t)^2 to find the time, then used vx=x/t to get vx, and finally vfinaly=9.8t to get the final velocity.

mfb said:
Without further information, this is impossible. Please give the full, exact problem statement.
There is not a problem statement, these are results from a demonstration that we are asked to calculate the time, final vertical velocity, and horizontal velocity of.

Guphanti said:
There is not a problem statement, these are results from a demonstration that we are asked to calculate the time, final vertical velocity, and horizontal velocity of.
Okay, but there is no way that we could know that unless you tell us. A description of the demonstration and the goal of your calculation would have helped us to help you more quickly.

Good luck in your studies!

1. What is "Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y"?

"Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y" is a mathematical equation used to calculate the time (t), velocity in the y-direction (Vfy), and velocity in the x-direction (Vfx) when given the change in position in the x-direction (Δx) and y-direction (Δy).

2. How is "Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y" used in science?

This equation is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of an object in two dimensions. It can help scientists and engineers understand the velocity and time it takes for an object to move from one position to another.

3. What are the units for time and velocity in "Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y"?

The units for time (t) are typically in seconds (s), while the units for velocity (Vfy and Vfx) are often in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can "Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y" be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion in two dimensions, including linear motion, projectile motion, and circular motion.

5. How accurate is "Find Time, Vyf & Vx Given Change in X & Y" in real-world situations?

The accuracy of this equation depends on the accuracy of the measurements used for the change in position in the x and y-directions. In real-world situations, factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the accuracy of the calculated values.