Find Transformation: Tα & Original vs. New Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transformation in a given basis and understanding the alpha basis. The main points are determining the components of A in the standard and alpha basis, and expressing A and T in their respective bases.
Shackleford
I'm not exactly sure how to find the transformation. The professor wrote something different in class. I know [T]α is what you multiply with the "new" basis to get the transformation of the components of the "original" basis. In this case, it's simply still alpha.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110615_211957.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110615_204346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so guessing here, and abusing a little notation but hopefully it helps..

for a given matrix A you should able to write in the alpha basis:
[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}
= q\vec{\alpha}_1+pq\vec{\alpha}_2+rq\vec{\alpha}_3+sq\vec{\alpha}_3 = \begin{pmatrix} p \\ q \\ r \\ s \end{pmatrix}_{\alpha} [/tex]

then apply the T transform which is already written in the alpha basis

to further understand the alpha basis, note that you could consider A expressed in the standard basis, call it s, and write
[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}
= a\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}
+b\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}
+c\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}
+d\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix}_s [/tex]

updated above

Oh, I see what you're doing.

Shackleford said:
That's not the alpha basis. It's not the standard basis.

what's not the alpha basis?

you need to solve for q,p,r,s which give the components in the alpha basis

The components are already given.

the way i read it (open to interp):
- the components of A in the standard basis are given
- the components of the operator T in the alpha basis is given

so i think you need to express A in the alpha basis, or express T in the standard basis

1. What is a transformation Tα?

A transformation Tα is a mathematical function that maps points from one coordinate system (or basis) to another. It is commonly used in linear algebra and geometry to describe how objects or vectors change when they are transformed into a new coordinate system.

2. How do you find the transformation Tα?

To find the transformation Tα, you need to know the original basis and the new basis. Then, you can use a matrix representation to represent the transformation and apply it to the original basis vectors. The resulting vectors will be the new basis vectors.

3. What is the difference between the original and new basis?

The original basis refers to the coordinate system or set of basis vectors that are being transformed. The new basis refers to the resulting coordinate system or set of basis vectors after the transformation has been applied.

4. What is the purpose of finding the transformation Tα?

The purpose of finding the transformation Tα is to understand how objects or vectors change when they are transformed into a different coordinate system. This can be useful in various applications, such as computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis.

5. Can the transformation Tα be represented by a single matrix?

Yes, the transformation Tα can be represented by a single matrix. This matrix is called the transformation matrix and is obtained by arranging the new basis vectors as columns in a matrix. The transformation matrix can then be used to apply the transformation to any vector in the original basis.