What is the angle needed to see a distant point on a circle with a given radius?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angle (θ) at which point G can be seen from point O on a circle with a radius (r) of 6000km, and a distance (R) of 40000km from the centre of the circle to point G. The solution involves constructing a right angled triangle BOG and using trigonometry, such as the sine and cosine rules, to calculate the angle. The drawing provided is not accurate and needs to be redone.
lubo

Homework Statement

A circle with a radius (r) of 6000km.

From the centre of the circle to a point in the distance G where another person is standing is R = 40000 km.

Calculate the angle (θ) that the observer has to stand at point (O), to allow the observer to see the distant point G. If the observer stands at point N he cannot see point (G)

Point G can be visible by constructing a right angled triangle B O G and you should be able to use trigonometry.

Please see attached for the drawing. Sorry it is not the best quality. We have B at the centre of triangle, N is the top of the circle, O is the point the observer stands to see point G and G where the observer would like to see.

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA
A2=B2+C2
Triangles ad up to 180°

The Attempt at a Solution

you can find B - N - G (big triangle) from Pythagoras = √(400002 + 6000) = 40447.5 km.

For the triangle (BOG) where the observer stands and looks to G, because it is at an angle from the centre of the circle to (O) I am stuck how to calculate it.

Sine Rule cannot be used as I have no angles.

I could maybe use the Cosine rule c2= a2+b2 - 2ab Cos C to find the angle.

C= cos-1 ((-c2 + a2+b2)/(2ab)) but the angle does not look like it is right angled so therefore I am not sure how I can work out O - G.

If I try and use a small triangle B - N - O -B then I have the same radius for both parts of the triangle and of course they will cancel out as c2 - b2 = a = Zero if both b and c are the same i.e. 6000.

I hope this makes sense as it is quite hard to explain as I cannot copy the picture.

Attachments

• Drawing of Question.png
    Drawing of Question.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
Was that a replication of a given drawing? I don't think that drawing is correct.

The way I understood the problem is that you're trying to find the maximum angle where you can still see point G

Point O would not be the maximum point (you could go higher)
What do you think would be special about the highest point?

I am trying to find theta. This is at point O on the diagram. It is not really perfectly drawn in that it looks like it cuts at 45 degrees on the right angle, but this is not the case. If you followed the circle around to point N, then you can no longer see point G.

The problem does not state that you can go higher in height,

Hope that helps, thanks.

lubo said:
I am trying to find theta.
Am I correct in assuming that the problem is asking for the MAXIMUM theta in which you can still see point G?

lubo said:
It is not really perfectly drawn in that it looks like it cuts at 45 degrees on the right angle, but this is not the case.
This isn't what I meant when I said the drawing is incorrect.

lubo said:
If you followed the circle around to point N, then you can no longer see point G.
Yes, I understand that you can't go all the way up to point N... But you CAN go up higher than point O

lubo said:
The problem does not state that you can go higher in height,
When I said "higher" I meant "higher on the circle" or in other words "you can go to a larger angle"

lubo said:
This is at point O on the diagram.
My whole point is that this (the largest theta where you can still see point G) is NOT at point O

from Nathanael, Am I correct in assuming that the problem is asking for the MAXIMUM theta in which you can still see point G?

Yes you are correct.

From Nathanael, Yes, I understand that you can't go all the way up to point N... But you CAN go up higher than point O

Yes that is correct.

From Nathanael, My whole point is that this (the largest theta where you can still see point G) is NOT at point O

Yes you are correct. I am trying to find the largest theta where the point G can still be visible on the circle with the data given. What is this angle or the best way to find it please?

Thanks

lubo said:
Point G can be visible by constructing a right angled triangle B O G and you should be able to use trigonometry.

Please see attached for the drawing.
You have drawn the diagram incorrectly. Start again, only draw it a little differently this time. :wink:

lubo said:
I am trying to find the largest theta where the point G can still be visible on the circle with the data given. What is this angle or the best way to find it please?

What is special about the highest point on the circle where you can still see point G?

What is unique about it? What sets it apart from all the other (lower) points where you can see G from?

Maybe figuring that out will give you enough information to solve the problem

Try thinking about it this way:

If I give you a point on a circle, how can you find the lowest point that is visible at that point?

Hi,

I appreciate all of your comments and I have tried to redraw the question. I understand what you are telling me about you can see point G from a higher point on the circle. I have drew the diagram to show this more clearly and with all the data I have.

I clearly still do not know how to approach this, but I am looking for the angle θ. I want to calculate the extreme angle that G can be visible from O by constructing the right angled triangle BOG attached (it doesn't look like a right angled triangle to me?). This is pretty much identical to what I have in the question and I could not possible draw it any better.

The question states that I should be able to use trigonometry for this (It does not say I can)?

It then follows that I should then also calculate the distance of the (line OG) without using the result from the previous part of the question (just for information at this time).

r = 6000 km
R = 42000 km

Please see attached drawing. Hopefully this will bring about a few more suggestions rather than problems about my explanation attempts.

Attachments

• Circle_Problem(1).png
    Circle_Problem(1).png
    14.4 KB · Views: 501
I see a triangle. It should be a right-angle triangle.
All that remains now is for you to mark in the right-angle. ☺☹

Is that a tangent you've drawn?

Last edited:
If I use the triangles N - B - O:

Cos θ = adjacent/hypotenuse = 6000 (radius (r)) /6000 (Radius (r))

θ = (arccos(1)) = 0°

Surely this cannot be true? If I have found this angle correctly then I can use this by taking 90 - answer = my Theta for the highest point to see.

As mentioned I could use Cosine rule but the question suggests this to be done using a right angle triangle? I know this will change later as you move lower on the circle to see point G, but at this time this is all I can see in relation to the problem and right angled triangles.

You are told that BOG is a right-angled triangle. It appears to be, the way you last drew it. So can you mark in the right-angle at O.

Likes 1 person

What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving triangles and their measurements.

What is an angle in Trigonometry?

An angle in Trigonometry is the amount of rotation between two lines or rays that meet at a common point. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

How do you find a missing angle in a right triangle?

In a right triangle, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent to find a missing angle. You can also use inverse trigonometric functions to find the measure of an angle.

What is the unit circle in Trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used in Trigonometry to help visualize the relationships between angles and their corresponding trigonometric functions.

How do you apply Trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two points.