1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Upward Vertical Force T.

1. Jul 27, 2013 #1
    A uniform board of length 90 cm is pivoted at a hinge at one end. It is kept level by an upward vertical force T applied at the opposite end. The weight of the board is 6N.
    Take moments about the hinge to find T, when the board is level.
    The hinge exerts an upward force, F on the board. Equate parallel forces to determine F when the board is level.

All inputs in understanding this question and the steps to solve it will be great help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a board which weighs 6N. It is supported by a hinge at one end and an upward force at the other. Assume the weight of the board is evenly distributed over its length. Draw a free body diagram and solve for T.

This is a simple statics problem.

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    @ SteamKing - Thank you for your response. Can you please elaborate and work it out for me?

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's not how things work here. You post your attempted solution and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice and corrections.

Please see: How to Ask for Help

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    Hi, assuming i understand this correctly , here are some hints:

Torque = f x d

The weight acts at the Centre of Mass

Make sure the torque balance.

Cheers,
    oneplusone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted