1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find value of capacitance C?

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equivalent capacitance of the capacitors shown in Figure 21-41 is 9.22 microFarads. Find the value of capacitance C.

2. Relevant equations
    Ok so this has to deal with Ceq, and it is a combonation of series and parallel circuits. Knowing this, I can use for series 1/Cs=(1/C1)+(1/C2) and so on. For parallel, it is Cp=C1+C2 and so on.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Looking at the picture, the givens is Ceq = 9.22 microFarads. I first simplify the circuit so that it shows 3 parallel circuits, which are 7.22 microFarads, ((4.25C)/(4.25+C),and 4.92. Setting up the equation, i get C to equal something not 2.56 microfarads. What did i do wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2
    I would calculate that again (there's an error here). Look at the circuit carefully.
    (btw. you SHOULD get 2,558microF)

4. Jun 4, 2016 #3
    Not exactly 3 parallel circuits but 7.22 in parallel with (C in series with (4.25 in parallel with (12.0 in series with 8.35)))

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct but you have to resolve them in the right order taking into account the brackets eg...

"12.0 in series with 8.35"
    then
    "4.25 in parallel with" the above
    then
    "C in series with" the above
    etc

However this bit..
    suggests you did
    "C in series with 4.25"
    or something like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted