1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find variation - really need help

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Find variation - really need help!!!

guys i really need your help on this. I dont even know which section to look for here. can some one please get me started for this problem.

Problem: A manufacturer contracts to mint coins for the federal government. how much variation dr in the radius of the coins can be tolerated if the coins are to weigh within 1/50 of their ideal weight? Assume the thickness does not vary.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2
    I do not know if this is correct, but what I'm thinking is:

1) assume the material is homogeneous and isotropic
    2) assume the thickness is constant
    3) assume the volume may be written as the product of the area of a circle and its constant height

Then, we can write the mass as the usual density, i.e. [tex]m=\rho V[/tex] then the weight is just g times the mass. So, note that
    [tex] dm = \rho dV=\rho (2\pi r dr) t[/tex]
    where t is the constant thickness. So, if we compare to its ideal weight, note the constant g drops out, along with a lot of other stuff. So
    [tex] \frac{dm}{m} = \frac{\rho dV}{\rho V}=\frac{2dr}{r}[/tex]
    So, plugging in what we know we have
    [tex] \frac{1}{50} =\frac{2dr}{r} \Rightarrow \frac{dr}{r}=\frac{1}{100}[/tex]
    So the variation in the radius must be within 1/100. Does this make sense? I think it works.
  4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks xman... yes it looks correct...

can anyone else look at it and confirm it? I want to make sure i do the hw right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?