Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find variation - really need help

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Find variation - really need help!!!

guys i really need your help on this. I dont even know which section to look for here. can some one please get me started for this problem.

Problem: A manufacturer contracts to mint coins for the federal government. how much variation dr in the radius of the coins can be tolerated if the coins are to weigh within 1/50 of their ideal weight? Assume the thickness does not vary.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2
    I do not know if this is correct, but what I'm thinking is:

1) assume the material is homogeneous and isotropic
    2) assume the thickness is constant
    3) assume the volume may be written as the product of the area of a circle and its constant height

Then, we can write the mass as the usual density, i.e. [tex]m=\rho V[/tex] then the weight is just g times the mass. So, note that
    [tex] dm = \rho dV=\rho (2\pi r dr) t[/tex]
    where t is the constant thickness. So, if we compare to its ideal weight, note the constant g drops out, along with a lot of other stuff. So
    [tex] \frac{dm}{m} = \frac{\rho dV}{\rho V}=\frac{2dr}{r}[/tex]
    So, plugging in what we know we have
    [tex] \frac{1}{50} =\frac{2dr}{r} \Rightarrow \frac{dr}{r}=\frac{1}{100}[/tex]
    So the variation in the radius must be within 1/100. Does this make sense? I think it works.

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks xman... yes it looks correct...

can anyone else look at it and confirm it? I want to make sure i do the hw right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook