Find vector C, using A and B

• Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to determine the vector \bold{\vec{C}} that lies in the xy plane perpendicular to \bold{\vec{B}} whose dot product with \bold{\vec{A}} is 20.0, we can use the equations: \vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C}=0 and \vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=20. By substituting the components of \bold{\vec{B}} and \bold{\vec{A}}, we can solve for the components of \bold{\vec{C}}, which will be 0 for the k component since it lies in the xy plane.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Given vectors [tex]\bold{\vec{A}}=-4.8\bold{\hat{i}}+6.8\bold{\hat{j}}[/tex] and [tex]\bold{\vec{B}}=9.6\bold{\hat{i}}+6.7\bold{\hat{j}}[/tex], determine the vector [tex]\bold{\vec{C}}[/tex] that lies in the xy plane perpendicular to [tex]\bold{\vec{B}}[/tex] whose dot product with [tex]\bold{\vec{A}}[/tex] is 20.0

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta_{\vec{B}}=\arctan{\frac{6.7}{9.6}}=35 degrees[/tex]

Dot prod. of perpendicular vectors = 0, therefore
[tex]\vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C}=B_{i}C_{i}+B_{j}C_{j}=0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{B}{\cdot}\vec{C}=9.6C_{i}+6.7C_{j}=0[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=A_{i}C_{i}+A_{j}C_{j}=20[/tex]
[tex]\vec{A}{\cdot}\vec{C}=-4.8C_{i}+6.8C_{j}=20[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start, that's why I'm here :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you already have your 2 independent equations set up to solve for your 2 unknowns Ci and Cj. Just solve by a quick substitution and you will have vector C's i and j components. Its k component is 0 since it lies in the xy plane.

To find vector C, we can use the fact that the dot product of perpendicular vectors is equal to zero. This means that the components of vector C must satisfy the equation 9.6C_i + 6.7C_j = 0. We can also use the given information about the dot product of A and C to form another equation: -4.8C_i + 6.8C_j = 20. We now have two equations with two unknowns (C_i and C_j). We can solve this system of equations using algebra or substitution to find the values of C_i and C_j. Once we have these values, we can use them to construct vector C, which will lie in the xy plane and be perpendicular to vector B.

1. How do I find vector C using A and B?

To find vector C using vectors A and B, you can use the formula C = A + B. This means that you add the corresponding components of A and B to get the components of C. For example, if A = (2, 4) and B = (3, 1), then C = (2+3, 4+1) = (5, 5).

2. Can I find vector C using A and B if they are not in the same dimension?

Yes, you can still find vector C using A and B if they are not in the same dimension. However, you need to make sure that the dimensions of A and B are compatible, meaning that they have the same number of components. For example, you cannot add a 2-dimensional vector and a 3-dimensional vector.

3. What if I have more than two vectors, can I still find vector C using them?

Yes, you can find vector C using more than two vectors. In this case, you can use the same formula as before, C = A + B, but you need to add all the corresponding components from each vector. For example, if you have three vectors A = (2, 4), B = (3, 1), and D = (5, 2), then C = (2+3+5, 4+1+2) = (10, 7).

4. Can I use vector C to find vector A or B?

No, vector C is the result of adding vectors A and B, so it cannot be used to find either A or B. However, if you have the components of vector C and one of the other vectors (A or B), you can use algebra to solve for the missing components of the other vector.

5. Is there any other way to find vector C using A and B?

Yes, there are other ways to find vector C using vectors A and B. For example, you can use the dot product or cross product of A and B to find the magnitude and direction of C. These methods are more advanced and require knowledge of vector operations and trigonometry.