1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find vector defined by two points on two separate lines

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    The point P lies on the line which is parallel to the vector 2i+j-k and which passes through the point with position vector i+j+2k. The point Q lies on another line which is parallel to the vector i+j-2k and which passes through the point with position vector i+j+4k. The line PQ is perpendicular to both these lines. Find a vector equation of the line PQ and the coordinates of the mid-point PQ.

Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2
    I get the feeling that you need to subtract the vectors to get one of the answers but I am really not sure at all. I never was any good at vectors.

Sorry :frown:

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3
    I hate them too. :frown:

5. Jan 4, 2005 #4
    Anyone...?

6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, any point on that line, in particular P, must have coordinates x= 1+ 2t, y= 1+ t, z= 2- t for some number t.
    And any point on this line, in particular Q, must have coordinates x= 1+ s, y= 1+ s, z= 4- 2s for some number s.
    The vector from P to Q is given by ((1+2t)-(1+s))i+ ((1+t)-(1+s))j+ ((2-t)-(4-2s))k= (2t-s)i+ (t-s)j+ (-2+2s-t)k.

Since that is to be perpendicular to the first line, we must have the dot product of vectors, (2t-s)(2)+ (t-s)(1)+ (-2+2s-t)(-1)= 4t-2s+t-s+2-2s+t= 6t-5s+ 2= 0.
    Since that is to be perpendicular to the second line, we must have the dot product of vectors, (2t-s)(1)+ (t-s)(1)+ (-2+2s-t)(-2)= 2t-s+t-s+4-4s+2t= 5t- 6s+ 4= 0.

Solve those two equations for s and t. Then you can find the coordinates of the points P and Q. Once you know those you can find the equation of the line from P to Q and the midpoint of the line segment.

7. Jan 4, 2005 #6
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?