1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find velocity.

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Find velocity.........

A 3.00Kg block at x=0 is moving to the right at 5.00m/s.
    A horizontal force acts on the block. Its potential energy funtion is U=(-x^2)-4x+5
    find the speed of the block at x=2.00m (surface is smooth)

ok the answer is already given by prof. answer is 5.74m/s but I wanna know how to solve this. I used kinetic and potential energy equation for this problem but I got 4.52m/s also I used changing kinetic and potential energy but I got 8.50m/s........I tried other things too but I got wrong....... I'm stuck with this.....

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is either 4.51 m/s or 5.45 m/s, depending on whether the force is opposite or with the direction of motion. If the answer is actually 5.74 m/s, then the question is wrong.

Clearly the function gives a potential energy of 7 J, so the block either gains or loses 7 J of KE (depending on the intended meaning of the negative quantity).

Edit: I noted rock.freak's answer, below, and then slapped my head. Only the change in PE of the system matters. Since the +5 exists at zero, and at x=2, then then change in KE is 12 J.

Awkwardly worded question.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. May 4, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[itex]U=-x^2-4x+5[/itex]

at x=0..what is U? Then use the law of conservation of mechanical energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?