How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a 3.00kg Block at x=2.00m?

• Thread starter cecico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question is asking for the speed of a block at x=2.00m, given a potential energy function and a horizontal force acting on the block. The answer is either 4.51 m/s or 5.45 m/s, depending on the direction of the force, and the potential energy function gives a potential energy of 7 J, resulting in a change in kinetic energy of 12 J according to the law of conservation of mechanical energy.
cecico
Find velocity...

A 3.00Kg block at x=0 is moving to the right at 5.00m/s.
A horizontal force acts on the block. Its potential energy funtion is U=(-x^2)-4x+5
find the speed of the block at x=2.00m (surface is smooth)

ok the answer is already given by prof. answer is 5.74m/s but I want to know how to solve this. I used kinetic and potential energy equation for this problem but I got 4.52m/s also I used changing kinetic and potential energy but I got 8.50m/s...I tried other things too but I got wrong... I'm stuck with this...

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is either 4.51 m/s or 5.45 m/s, depending on whether the force is opposite or with the direction of motion. If the answer is actually 5.74 m/s, then the question is wrong.

Clearly the function gives a potential energy of 7 J, so the block either gains or loses 7 J of KE (depending on the intended meaning of the negative quantity).

Edit: I noted rock.freak's answer, below, and then slapped my head. Only the change in PE of the system matters. Since the +5 exists at zero, and at x=2, then then change in KE is 12 J.

Awkwardly worded question.

Last edited:
[itex]U=-x^2-4x+5[/itex]

at x=0..what is U? Then use the law of conservation of mechanical energy.

1. What is velocity and how is it calculated?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction. It is calculated by dividing the object's displacement (change in position) by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How is the velocity of a 3.00kg block determined in this experiment?

In this experiment, the velocity of the 3.00kg block is determined by measuring its displacement and the time it takes to travel that distance. The block's initial and final positions are marked and the time it takes to travel between those positions is recorded.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of the block in this experiment?

The velocity of the block in this experiment can be affected by several factors including the surface it is sliding on, the angle of the ramp, and the force applied to the block.

4. How can the velocity of the block be manipulated in this experiment?

The velocity of the block can be manipulated in this experiment by changing the surface it is sliding on, adjusting the angle of the ramp, and increasing or decreasing the force applied to the block.

5. What is the significance of finding the velocity of the block in this experiment?

Finding the velocity of the block in this experiment allows us to understand the relationship between an object's displacement and the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be applied to real-world situations and help us predict the motion of objects in different scenarios.