1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find Vemf

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    When a battery is connected to a 110.-ohm resistor, the current is 3.98 A. When the same battery is connected to a 400.-ohm resistor, the current is 1.11 A.

Find the emf supplied by the battery and the internal resistance of the battery.

Vemf = i*R

I'm not sure how to approach this since you get two voltages (438.7 and 444) from the different resistors.

Should I treat these resistors like they are in the same circuit? In series or in parallel?

Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you'll get two different voltages, by using different resistors, because there is another resistance involved that is always there: the internal resistance of the battery.

(By the way, check your math regarding the voltages you calculated.)
    Not the 110 and 400 Ω resistors, no.

But the battery's internal resistance is always there, so yes, the internal resistance is within the circuit in both cases.
    What do you think? (Hint: look in your textbook for "internal resistance" of a battery, and the answer should be clear.)
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks! that explanation makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I can figure the rest out from there!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook