1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find volume. Cross-sections are isosceles right triangles. Why is my answer wrong? :/

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm still practicing how to find volume.

1. My problem is this:

"Find the volume of the solid described below:

The base of the solid is the disk x^2 + y^2 ≤ 4. The cross-sections by planes perpendicular to the y-axis between y=-2 and y=2 are isosceles right triangles with one leg in the disk."

2. I thought that since an isosceles right triangle is really just half of a square, I could appraoch this problem like every cross-section was a square and divide the volume in half at the end...

Using this method I have:

A = s^2

A= (2√(4-y^2))^2

A= 4(4-y^2)

A= 16 - 4y^2

This is the area if every cross-section was a square.

V= 1/2 * 2 ∫0 to 2 of 16 - 4y^2

(The 1/2 on the outside is there because we need to find half of the volume to end up with isosceles right triangle cross-sections. The 2 is there because I changed the limits from -2 to 2 instead to 0 to 2.)

V= ∫0 to 2 of 16 - 4y^2

= 16y - 4*(y^3/3) |0 to 2

= 16(2) - 4*[(2)^3)/3]

= 32 - 10.67

= 21.33

But this is the wrong answer... Why is it wrong, though?

I avoided having to think about the cross-sections as triangles, because the area formula for that is:
    1/2(b*h)

I am confused as to what to plug in for the b and h...
    I know for an isoscleses right triangle, h = 1/2b
    Would b = sqrt(-y^2 + 4)...?
    And so Area= 1/2[sqrt(-y^2 + 4) * (1/2(sqrt(-y^2 + 4)))]

...I really don't know here. That's why I avoided triangles!
    Please help!
    Thank you VERY much! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Find volume. Cross-sections are isosceles right triangles. Why is my answer wrong

What makes you think the answer is wrong? Everything you have done is correct, although I would prefer you leave the answer as 32- 32/3= (96- 32)/3= 64/3, the exact answer, rather than 21.33, an approximate answer.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Find volume. Cross-sections are isosceles right triangles. Why is my answer wrong

Not quite. Think that through again.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

@haruspex- I still don't see why that would be wrong...

Wouldn't each side be (2*(√4 - y^2))^2 ~ a (√(4 - y^2)) for the top part of the circle and a (√(4 - y^2)) for the bottom part of the circle?

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe I have it wrong, but I thought that the x value, √(4 - y^2), would be half a diagonal of the complete square.

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

Oh, okay. Thanks for responding! :)

8. Jan 22, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. It said a leg of the isoceles triangle is in the disk. If you are dealing with an online grading system it might want the exact answer as a fraction instead of a decimal approximation as Halls pointed out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook