Find volume of a mixed gas at STP

In summary, the conversation discusses a gas phase reaction involving NO and O2 at STP and how to calculate the volume of the reaction mixture at STP after the reaction is completed. The solution involves adding the volumes of the gases, calculating the number of moles of NO2, and using stoichiometry to determine the final volume of the mixed gas. One participant makes a mistake in their calculation, but is given guidance on how to correct it.
iconwin

Homework Statement

Consider the following gas phase reaction:
http://scholar.uh.edu/webct/RelativeResourceManager/Template/Imported_Resources/20053H_CHEM1331_08946_QIZ_200511041405291131475017966%20folder/QIZ_6442871_M/my_files/test_images/f5g1q49g1.gif
400. mL of NO at STP is reacted with 500. mL of O2 at STP. Calculate the volume of the reaction mixture at STP after the reaction goes to completion.

V of NO= 400.mL= .400L
V of O2= 500.mL = .500L
At STP:
P= 1atm
T= 273K
V= 22.4L/mol of gas
V of mixed gas NO2= ?

Homework Equations

n=PV/RT;
M=mRT/PV;

The Attempt at a Solution

1, I added two volumes of gases together to get the total volume.
.400L+.500L= .900L

2. I calculated the mol of NO2 at STP
n= PV/RT= (1atm*22.4L)/(0.0821L*atm/K*mol)
n= 0.9994 mol of NO2

3. Took that mol multiply with .9L to get the Volume of the mixed gas NO2, I got ~900mL
But the right answer is 700mL. Is there any idea on what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gases reacted. You end with two gases - but you need to calculate their amounts with simple stoichiometry.

Thank you! I'll try again!

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the volume of a mixed gas at STP?

To find the volume of a mixed gas at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure), you can use the ideal gas law equation: V = (nRT)/P, where V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and P is the pressure in atmospheres.

2. What is STP and why is it important?

STP, or Standard Temperature and Pressure, is a set of standard conditions used in chemistry and physics experiments. It is defined as a temperature of 273.15 Kelvin (0 degrees Celsius) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere. STP is important because it allows scientists to compare and measure the properties of gases under the same conditions.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to finding the volume of a mixed gas at STP?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for volume (V = (nRT)/P), which is how we find the volume of a mixed gas at STP.

4. Is the volume of a mixed gas at STP always the same?

No, the volume of a mixed gas at STP can vary depending on the composition of the gas. According to the ideal gas law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present. Therefore, a gas with a higher number of moles will have a larger volume than a gas with a lower number of moles.

5. Can the volume of a mixed gas at STP be measured experimentally?

Yes, the volume of a mixed gas at STP can be measured experimentally using various methods such as gas displacement or gas collection. These methods involve measuring the volume of a gas being displaced or collected when a known amount of gas is added to a container at STP. The volume of the mixed gas can then be calculated using the ideal gas law.