1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find volume of solid produced

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y = x³ y= 0 and x = 1

and its revolved around the line x = 2

okay i have drawn the graph of y = x³ and other paramaters, but when i get ther area being rotated it produces a hollow center. how do i go about finding the volume?

would it be a washers i don't understand the gap between the line x = 2 and x = 1?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Yes there will be a hollow centre. The solid of revolution generated looks like a ring. You can use the washer method of calculating volume. First find the volume generated rotating f(y) (express y=f(x) in terms of x first) around x=2 for the region defined within the range of y=0 and y=1. When that is done, subtract the unwanted volume which corresponds to the hollow centre beteen the lines x=2 and x=1. You don't have to use calculus to do this one, just use the formula for volume of cylinder.
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    using washer and shell

i got 3pi / 5
  5. Jul 8, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

So you chose the shell method. I agree with your result.

To use the disk/washer method, the infinitesimal slices are taken perpendicular to the rotation axis, so we would have to integrate in the y-direction. The limits of integration would now be y = 0 to y = 1. The "washers" would be disks with an outer radius following the y = x^3 curve and an inner radius for the hole following the x = 1 curve. So the washers have holes of constant radius 2 - 1 unit. The outer radius curve will have to be inverted into x = y^(1/3); since it is to the left of x = 2, the outer radius will be 2 - y^(1/3).

This makes the infinitesimal volume of a washer

[tex]dV = [\pi(r_{outer})^2 - \pi(r_{inner})^2] dy
    = [\pi(2 -y^{1/3})^2 - \pi(1)^2] dy [/tex]

The volume integral is then

[tex]V = \pi \int_{0}^{1} 4 - 4y^{1/3}+ y^{2/3} - 1 dy[/tex] ,

which also gets you [tex]V = \frac{3\pi}{5}[/tex]. But shells is definitely the easier method for this one...
  6. Jul 8, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way to think about it (but exactly the same as the washer method) is this:

1. Suppose you rotate the area above the line y= 0, from x= 0 to x= 1, about the line y= 2. What volume would it have? (That's simply a cylinder- area= [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex].)

2. Suppose you rotate the area above the curve y= x3, from x= 0 to x= 1, about the line y= 2. What volume would that have?

Now subtract the two.
  7. Jul 10, 2008 #6
    so do disk and washer rotate perpendicular to rotation of axis and shell rotates paralell
  8. Jul 10, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

That's correct, and that is why the variable of integration depends on which method is used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?