1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find where cos(x) = acos(x)

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find where cos(x) = acos(x)

2. Relevant equations
    Trig identities?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to proceed with this analytically. Cos(cos(x))=x? that doesn't seem to help...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about the period and phase relationships between y1 = cos (x) and y2 = a cos (x).

Where are the only values of x located where each function y1 and y2 could possibly intersect?

Hint: It's OK to make a sketch of these two functions.

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Does acos(x) mean a * cos(x) or arccos(x)?

5. Jun 18, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I presume the acos(x) is arccos(x). The x would be measured in radians when taking the cosine. Your graphical solution and or tabulate the two as a function of x might work best. I think you will find the solution near ## x=\pi/4 ## for which ## \cos(\pi/4)=.7071... ##. On the other hand if "a" is simply a constant, see @SteamKing post #2. editing...besides a tabulation, Taylor series of the two functions (near the point(s) above) can provide for a more analytical solution.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. Jun 18, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As do I, based on what the OP wrote about cos(cos(x)) in post 1. Still, a question should be posted so that it isn't ambiguous. acos(x) is notation that is used in programming, and not as much in a mathematics context.

7. Jun 18, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Upon solving this one, (see post #4), it appears the problem could also be stated as find x (angle in radians) such that x=cosx, because x=cos(x)=arccos(x) is a direct consequence of the first equality. Thereby, you just need to graph y=x and y=cos(x) and find the point of intersection.

8. Jun 18, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The correct equation would be ##x = \cos( \cos x))##.

9. Jun 18, 2016 #8

Charles Link

Homework Helper

@Ray Vickson Please look more closely at my post #6. I think I have this one correct. If x=cos(x) then (taking arccos of both sides) arccos(x)=x and thereby cos(x)=arccos(x). I think the converse is true for this case: if cos(x)=arccos(x) I think x=cos(x). .. editing...if you take x=cos(cos(x)) and suppose a solution of cos(x)=x then it reads (after substituting in the inner term) x=cos(x) and you have consistency.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. Jun 18, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the ##\cos## on both sides of ##\cos(x) = \arccos(x)## and you get ##x = \cos(\cos x))##. Apparently, we must have ##\cos x = \cos( \cos x)## at the solution. So, your way is correct, but so is the alternative.

11. Jun 19, 2016 #10

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The graphical solution of cos(x)=arccos(x) is interesting. Graphing y=cos(x) and y=arccos(x) and finding where they intersect. The second graph is x=cos(y) so they have a symmetry to them and will meet along y=x, which is the result from the alternative method (post #6). We still need to hear from the OP...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted