1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find x

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    4^x = x^4. My instructor wants me to find the answer that is -0.77, not 2 or 4. And showing work as well.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2
    Did you try graphing the equations and finding where they intercept?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Jun 13, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no "formula" or elementary function that will solve that. I would try to get it into a form in which I could use Lambert's W function- it is defined as the inverse of [itex]xe^x[/itex].

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    If you detail you calculations so far perhaps then can advice with this :smile:

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    I tried using log but I keep getting stuck at xlog2=2logx

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    Make a quick sketch of the two functions. Just use the range [itex]-2 \leq x \leq 2[/itex] and plot the two lines together. From the graph you should be able to see the intersect and hence the answer you require. :smile:

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you ignoring my post? That equation cannot be solved using elementary functions. Do a numerical solution, or graph as Axiom17 and Immutef have suggested, or use Lambert's W function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook